Re: [SCA Newcomers] Digest Number 637

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2004
      In a message dated 7/2/2004 4:11:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<I was not trying to attack you or say anything bad about you, I'm sorry if
      it seemed that way. Things in your first post were a bit rash and harsh, and
      it seemed to me (and I may not be the only one) that the bed sheet and
      dollar-a-yard comments that I made you were saying "no it should not be done this way
      at all".>>

      I'm sorry it came across that way; it was not intended to. I did truly
      intend it to be an opinion piece about reasons to use period fabrics other than to
      win competitions. I think perhaps we both reacted a bit more hotly than
      necessary :-)

      << Not always is it assumed that newbies are incapable of doing anything
      turely period. This past winter at the winter moot in the canton of wolfhome,
      principality of northshield, we had classes on true period fabrics. we even went
      to walmart and browsed the fabric showing examples of what was and was not true
      period. we were also taught what would be acceptable for those of us who
      didn't at the time WANT to put a lot of money into it. all of the newbies were
      especially encouraged to go with for this class.>>

      I am thrilled to hear that. That is how I teach newcomers in my area, but I
      had despaired that I was the only one. Admittedly, I joined nearly 15 years
      ago when the number of people interested in authenticity was nowhere near as
      high as it is now - but the standard newcomer's advice on how to make clothes
      and which fabrics to purchase has not changed *at all* in 15 years, with the
      single exception of strongly discouraging the use of synthetic fabrics which used
      to be all the rage. That is extremely discouraging to me since the amount of
      readily available information on authentic practices has increased
      exponentially in the same time frame.
      My kingdom recently started an official series of newcomer classes, one of
      which was on basic garb. I was very unhappy that it espoused the "fold the
      fabric in quarters and lay a shirt on it" method of cutting a tunic, never
      mentioning that this was a modern cheat and that there were other, more accurate ways
      to get the same garment. I spoke with the kingdom chatelaine and told her I
      refused to teach this as the only method; I proposed that I personally would
      present the rectangular construction method and leave this cheat as a last
      resort for people who were really frightened of sewing more than one seam. She
      had no problem with that, and in fact asked if I would be willing to write up a
      class on basic garb. I said I would, but have not heard back from her
      regarding this project.

      Lancaster, PA