costumes

  • williamn14
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
      OK, I think it's safe to stop ducking...LOL I attend the Michigan
      Renaissance Festival in costume. I have no idea of the time period
      of my costume, I guess it's a conglomerate. Anyway, I am hoping to
      join a shire in my area soon. I costume for fun. I am doing a rogue
      character so I'm trying to create a look fitting to that. A friend
      made my shirt from muslin, I have a suede vest/jacket from Pendragon,
      the design of which is Spanish. I'm not doing a Spanish character
      but I like the jacket style. All I have for boots are moccasin boots
      right now. Found the boots I want thru Silvermane.(gonna have to
      sell body parts to afford them). Unfortunately the only pants I have
      to use for now are polyester baseball pants. They fit like loose
      tights altho the material is definitely wrong(spank me later). Any
      suggestions to help me with the costume will be warmly welcomed.
      Thank you,

      Williamn14
    • Tina
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, williamn14 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        I appreciate that despite a few hurt feelings the group was able to
        bring the discussion under control and back to some very interesting
        posts so quickly. I've seen a few flame wars and would prefer not to
        read any again...thanks to everyone for behaving so maturely.

        On to the discussion at hand:

        William brings up a problem I have with my costumes, boots.

        > Found the boots I want thru Silvermane.(gonna have to sell body
        parts to afford them).

        Anyone have links or catalog suggestions for boots that are at least
        close to period authentic without costing more than $200??

        I costume more for fun than authenticity but I would love to learn
        more about what is period appropriate. Again, any links to
        information or suggested reading would be great. Preferably reading
        that is fairly quick and to the point. My research time is very
        limited. (just aren't enough hours in the day)

        Tina
        (links to acceptable names would be great too! I'm thinking a weathly
        merchant's wife would be a suitable persona for me.)
      • jessej805
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2004
          > Anyone have links or catalog suggestions for boots that are at
          least
          > close to period authentic without costing more than $200??

          I thought I would come out of lurking long enough to suggest a site I
          have found very useful.

          www.scaboots.com

          I purchased a wonderful pair of boots for my husband for christmas
          (the ones without zippers), and they seem to be fairly good quality
          at a very reasonable price. They certainly look good on him (I could
          be biased here:-)

          I hope this helps.

          Jesse (still working on my personae too)
        • williamn14
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2004
            Hmmm, my rogue character would be eyeing you....LOL

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2004
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, williamn14 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <danaar1@y...> wrote:
              > Hmmm, my rogue character would be eyeing you....LOL

              LOL! Hopefully not to rob. ;) This merchants wife is quite interested
              in the martial arts and thanks to a few links posted through the
              group has finally found a fencing group "somewhat" close to her home.

              Tina
            • williamn14
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7, 2004
                Dwefinitely not to rob sweetie, definitely not to ron. My rogue
                character is more romantic in nature. A defnite flirt. Wink Wink.

                William

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <danaar1@y...> wrote:
                > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, williamn14 <no_reply@y...>
                wrote:
                > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <danaar1@y...> wrote:
                > > Hmmm, my rogue character would be eyeing you....LOL
                > >

                > LOL! Hopefully not to rob. ;) This merchants wife is quite
                interested
                > in the martial arts and thanks to a few links posted through the
                > group has finally found a fencing group "somewhat" close to her
                home.

                > Tina
              • williamn14
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7, 2004
                  First of, let me say thank you to everyone who has offered info to my
                  post. It's so great to see people willing to help. Reminds me of
                  the Stargate group I belong too. The boots I posted the link to are
                  the style I prefer but not locked into. They remind me of a
                  Musketeer/Pirate style boot. And I plan on checking out a local SCA
                  group. There are 2 near me so trying to pic one is gonna be fun.
                  Again thank you for all the assistance.

                  William
                • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 7, 2004
                    On Wednesday 07 July 2004 17:47, williamn14 wrote:
                    > There are 2 near me so trying to pic one is gonna be fun.

                    Who says you have to?

                    While most people have one SCA group they call "home", you are welcome
                    to participate with any number of local groups. Where I live, it is quite
                    common for people to belong to more than one group. :-)

                    keys fesswise reversed sable.