Re: [SCA Newcomers] Authenticity as an OPTION for newcomers

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1 3:24 PM
      On Thursday 01 July 2004 17:32, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      > All the options should be presented equally, valued equally, and
      > the newcomer allowed to choose how they want to play the game.

      From my perspective as one of the list moderators...

      This is an essential point. Brangwayna attempted to do this in her first post.
      Her wording perhaps left her intent less clear than she had intended, and
      some list members were offended. They reacted, Brangwayna clarified her
      intent, and someone else thanked her for doing so. Brangwayna wasn't wrong
      for trying to encourage authenticity, nor were others wrong for trying to
      remind people that not everyone will want to be fully authentic.

      I think we all agree that authenticity is good but that it has to be
      tempered with good sense, given each individual's limitations in time, money,
      and interest. I'm willing to bet that everyone agrees on the fundamentals,
      and that the contention is more about *how* each person's thoughts were
      expressed on the list than about *what* the person was thinking. Email is a
      very imprecise medium sometimes, because it lacks the nuances of facial
      expression and body language that lend kindness to a face-to-face discussion.

      Please, everyone, take a deep breath and try to remember that we are all
      honorable lords and ladies of these Current Middle Ages. The authenticity
      versus fun debate is as old as the SCA itself, and we will not solve it
      here by shouting at one another. A flame war will drive away both newcomers
      and veterans alike from this list.

      I'm not asking for the thread to end, only for its continuance to be built
      on courtesy. Whatever side you are on, please respect the fact that those
      who disagree are also well-intentioned just as you are. There are no
      villains here, only heroes who speak a slightly different dialect.

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Lisa Briner
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1 3:40 PM
        >>How about the newcomers who come in (and I've encountered a sizeable
        minority of them over the last 14 years) who WANT an authentic experience,
        who want
        to learn about how things were really done, and get disillusioned when
        everybody tells them they can just fudge it like everybody else,

        Count me as one of those newcomers. I want to be more authentic in my garb
        for MYSELF.

        >>. All the options should be presented equally, valued equally, and
        the newcomer allowed to choose how they want to play the game. That's all
        I'm
        trying to do - present another option.

        I absolutely agree! In fact, I thougt your original post was so good that I
        saved it.

        Thank you,
        Ysabel
      • Lisa Briner
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1 3:42 PM
          Once again, Justin, you are the voice of reason. (Have you considered a
          career in conflict management?)

          Thank you,
          Ysabel
        • Milica of Varna
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1 4:18 PM
            <snort!> That's what he needs, another career! :-P

            Milica

            On Thursday 01 July 2004 18:42, Lisa Briner wrote:
            > Once again, Justin, you are the voice of reason. (Have you considered a
            > career in conflict management?)
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Ysabel

            THL Milica of Varna
            Middle Kingdom Chronicler
            chronicler@...

          • Kirianna
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1 5:01 PM
              Hello,

              I apologize that I read it defensively. Perhaps it was my own bias and
              perhaps it was the way things were worded.

              We were scared away after our first summer of events three years ago by
              a rude officer in our barony who decided to use my husband as an example
              of ... well, I don't really know what. He made a simple mistake with
              wording over an email list (he called a moot "court" not fully
              understanding the difference) and he was pubically humiliated over it.
              We decided not to go back after this as we didn't want to be treated
              poorly over simple mistakes. We didn't fully realize that this wasn't a
              true representation of the SCA. We've been talked into trying it again.
              Which is good, because we did so enjoy that summer and the events we
              attended. (Our son even won a chilvary award!)

              Three years later, we'll be trying it again. We'll be attending a rather
              large event. I'm excited again. But I tell ya... it IS scary. We are
              truly newbies, and will probably make mistakes. I only hope that when
              corrected the next time, it will be done so tactfully and tastefully as
              I do want to be corrected if I do something wrong and I certainly want
              to learn!

              So, what I'm trying to say is I do appreciate being presented with all
              options and opinions, and feel some care could be taken to be sure that
              newcomers are treated with respect when they ask questions or make
              mistakes. Afterall, this is all about having fun too, right? :)

              Thank you for taking the time to explain further.

              ~Kirianna

              --
              www.jackntracie.com
              Live, and learn...

            • Milica of Varna
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1 5:43 PM
                Boy can I relate! My first event, as well as Justin's, was Pennsic. I can't
                say that I was really scared, but intimidated, yes. So many people in fancy
                garb and brass hats. What I did learn is that most of them were not only
                friendly and very nice, but also delighted to answer all the crazy questions
                I put to them.

                When we decided to attempt to start a shire several years later, we made many
                mistakes, but again, we were fortunate to find many kind people in the SCA
                who were patient with our foibles and willing to gently guide us.

                I guess that's why I'm still playing 14 years later. :-)

                Milica

                On Thursday 01 July 2004 20:01, Kirianna wrote:
                > Three years later, we'll be trying it again. We'll be attending a rather
                > large event. I'm excited again. But I tell ya... it IS scary. We are
                > truly newbies, and will probably make mistakes. I only hope that when
                > corrected the next time, it will be done so tactfully and tastefully as
                > I do want to be corrected if I do something wrong and I certainly want
                > to learn!

                THL Milica of Varna
                Middle Kingdom Chronicler
                chronicler@...

              • tori T
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1 7:59 PM
                  Brangwayna,
                  I was not trying to attack you or say anything bad about you, I'm sorry if it seemed that way. Things in your first post were a bit rash and harsh, and it seemed to me (and I may not be the only one) that the bed sheet and dollar-a-yard comments that I made you were saying "no it should not be done this way at all". I was only offering beginners advice that I was given. Not always is it assumed that newbies are incapable of doing anything turely period. This past winter at the winter moot in the canton of wolfhome, principality of northshield, we had classes on true period fabrics. we even went to walmart and browsed the fabric showing examples of what was and was not true period. we were also taught what would be acceptable for those of us who didn't at the time WANT to put a lot of money into it. all of the newbies were especially encouraged to go with for this class. maybe we have different opinions because we have had different experences, and I'm willing to accept that since no
                  one is the same, and no place is the same. maybe next time it might be a little bit better to express that it is an opinion, and I do thank you for offering the advice that you did, because frankly I didn't know about some of the things you had said. again I do appologize if it seemed like I was trying to attack you. I wasn't.
                  Antonia

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Mackenzie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1 9:53 PM
                    > >>How about the newcomers who come in (and I've encountered a sizeable
                    > minority of them over the last 14 years) who WANT an authentic
                    experience,
                    > who want
                    > to learn about how things were really done, and get disillusioned when
                    > everybody tells them they can just fudge it like everybody else,
                    >
                    > Count me as one of those newcomers. I want to be more authentic in
                    my garb
                    > for MYSELF.

                    Ditto.

                    I spent 4 or 5 months researching everything I could find about
                    fabrics, construction, names, anything I could think of. That started
                    a year and a half ago. Five months ago I used 12th Century Fashion
                    for English Women as the topic of my research paper in school, and did
                    it all from memory (luckily I documented a lot of what was in my
                    notebook, the rest I just fudged around to find sources for). The
                    teacher said she could tell I was interested in it, and that it was
                    well-researched. Simple being interested in something is enough to
                    start that spark that'll grow into the need to study everything you
                    can. I'm currently restraining myself from reading Le Morte D'Arthur
                    since I want to save it for reading in school. If anyone's interested
                    in that time period I can type the report into my computer (it has
                    crashed since then, but I have a paper copy) and you guys can see
                    what's really authentic, even if you choose to use just the
                    construction techniques (a wise choice, it will save much more fabric
                    than will darts, flares, or princess seams) and use random cheap fabric.

                    Maybe the prices are slightly easier for me since I'm in high school
                    and don't really have any financial commitments except what I choose
                    to commit to: buying the clothes I want so I'm not taken to K-Mart for
                    my clothes (Kohls, WalMart, I don't have a problem, but K-Mart is for
                    little kids or adults, they don't even have t-shirts that I know of)
                    or buying CDs or a new guitar. But then, in my area the average
                    annual family income is $40,000, which I am of course no where near at
                    $5 an hour every other week for 3 months a year (uh, try dividing it
                    by 100).

                    Even after all that research, I still haven't sewn anything, just in
                    case there's something I'm missing (I think I got it all now, my dress
                    pattern was approved by an long-time-member), so now I just need a
                    ride to the fabric store since I got everything in my head, on paper,
                    and online that I could need to know to make garb.
                  • Tirloch O'Riordain
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2 12:30 PM
                      bronwynmgn@... wrote:

                      > Why is it always assumed that newcomers are incapable of handling
                      > information
                      > about how to make accurate clothes? That's an insult to our newcomers.

                      There was no insult implied or meant. I was merely stating what the
                      corpora states, as information for any new people who may have been
                      confused by this thread. There is nothing wrong with trying to instruct
                      new people about period fabrics and period methods. I encourage it. At
                      the same time, they should know that these methods will not be required
                      of them. The SCA has written minimum standards, which is the only thing
                      I was trying to point out.

                      > I presented a well-reasoned argument about why it may (note: *may*,
                      > not is,
                      > or is the only right way, or anything else coercive) be more practical
                      > to go
                      > with period options from the beginning, and I got told that I'm being
                      > unreasonable, that I'm elitist, that I must be rolling in money or
                      > throwing it away to
                      > the exclusion of other things - and that I am going to drive every
                      > newcomer who
                      > encounters me away. In short, because I'm an authenticist, I am, of
                      > course,
                      > pushy, overbearing, and think everyone must play the game the same way
                      > I do or
                      > they are WRONG. If you re-read my post in the "Fabric Choices"
                      > thread, you
                      > will see that I never ONCE said using cheap fabric was wrong; I
                      > compared the
                      > two options and stated that *in my opinion and experience* the use of
                      > period
                      > fabric was better - not RIGHT, just better. But I then get told that I'm
                      > ragging on people, that I am "restricting people", and that I am
                      > somehow preventing
                      > them from coming and learning and playing, simply because I presented a
                      > minority opinion of how to come and learn and play. How can I be
                      > "restricting
                      > people" or "preventing them from learning" when I'm offering another
                      > option of how
                      > to play this game, which has not been presented to them before? I'm
                      > broadening their options and their chances to learn something, not
                      > restricting them.

                      I apologize if you feel that any personal attack was made. My comment
                      about not wanting to "restrict" them was not made at you. I was pointing
                      out that the SCA has a very low minimum standard, and that there is a
                      reason for this. While many recreation groups are very stringent about
                      "period", the SCA, inc. made the conscious decision not to be. This
                      decision was made so that we (the SCA) would not be restrictive. It was
                      made to encourage people to participate and to have fun. There are very
                      period medieval recreation groups out there. One of them is the Regia
                      Anglorum, which is extremely authenticity based. None of them have the
                      membership numbers that we enjoy. One of the reasons for this is that we
                      as a Society, are much less stringent. While I agree that teaching new
                      people about period methods is a good thing, I disagree on how it should
                      be presented. I think that it should be presented as an option, but not
                      as a superior option. We are not an authenticity based group, in many
                      respects we are not even an actual recreationist group. We are an
                      historical interest group. While this may bother many people drawn to
                      the actual recreation aspect of the Society, it is the trade off that we
                      have that allows so many people to play. If authenticity is your major
                      concern, the Regia Anglorum is branching out from the U.K. to the U.S.
                      and I can get you their contact information if you wish.

                      > How about the newcomers who come in (and I've encountered a sizable
                      > minority of them over the last 14 years) who WANT an authentic
                      > experience, who want
                      > to learn about how things were really done, and get disillusioned when
                      > everybody tells them they can just fudge it like everybody else, and
                      > they never get
                      > to find the people who they want to talk to because everybody else
                      > steers them
                      > away from us and tells them how terrible we are or just neglects to
                      > tell them
                      > we exist at all? Those people go away and either find other groups to
                      > play
                      > in, and tell stories about how everyone in the SCA are all boobs who
                      > can't tell
                      > history from sword and sorcery novels, and us calling ourselves an
                      > "educational organization" is a joke, or drop out of the history scene
                      > entirely. That
                      > benefits nobody.

                      I have had similar experiences. Many people I have known from collegiate
                      history departments that find the SCA, often find it much too open and
                      loose to actually interest them. The SCA often embraces Arthurian Legend
                      history over actual historical practices. This is even evident in our
                      highest orders of the Knighthood, Pelican, and Laurel. They are our
                      system, but they are not compatible with actual historical systems. The
                      thing is, that some of us learn to accept this breaks, because of the
                      other things that this Society offers us. Others cannot accept this, and
                      they leave. While this is a loss to our Society, I personally can see no
                      easy fix for this. My recommendation for people who really want a
                      historical authentic experience is to a) find the others in the SCA who
                      play this way (such as Caraidoc of the Bow and his enchanted ground at
                      Pennsic) and play as they do by setting an example. b) find a group that
                      actually creates an historical authentic experience.

                      As for the comment: "...because everybody else steers them away from us
                      and tells them how terrible we are or just neglects to tell them we
                      exist at all?" I assume that you are speaking of authenticity
                      supporters? While I agree with you that they sometimes get the wrong end
                      of the stick (that's a Roman reference by the way for you historical
                      people), they also can be rather adamant about trying to impose their
                      beliefs on people who do not follow this methodology. Just as you have
                      seen people discouraged because they wish authenticity, others have been
                      discouraged because of rude authenticity supporters. This list should
                      present both arguments, but it should do so without any judgments, or
                      recriminations. Merely as "these are your options".

                      > I never even heard about either period construction methods or even what
                      > period fabrics were until I'd been in the SCA for about 5 or 6 years,
                      > because
                      > nobody ever mentioned it to me. I never knew that what scadians had
                      > taught me
                      > about how to make period clothes was entirely incorrect, and that
                      > mattered to
                      > me, even as a newcomer. I found out by doing my own research and
                      > finding out
                      > I'd been wrong all along, and it took me another three or 4 years to
                      > find out
                      > that there is a thriving group of Scadians, some new, some not, who
                      > are deeply
                      > interested in authenticity and helping people get started with it -
                      > not forcing
                      > them to, just making the information available for those who want it.
                      > That's
                      > not right. All the options should be presented equally, valued
                      > equally, and
                      > the newcomer allowed to choose how they want to play the game. That's
                      > all I'm
                      > trying to do - present another option.

                      That may simply be due to the area, or group with which you started. I
                      do not find this attitude prevalent within our Barony or for that matter
                      our Kingdom as a whole. I believe that most people are exposed to the
                      many options that are open to them. I think that the main difference is
                      that while they are taught the different options, that no one option is
                      presented as being "better" than any other. I am sorry that you feel
                      that you were somehow cheated by your early experiences, and happy that
                      you did find that place that is good and comfortable for you. My opinion
                      of this list, and of being a Chatelain, is merely to help new people
                      find that same place for themselves.

                      Your Servant,

                      Tirloch
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 5 6:37 AM
                        In a message dated 7/2/2004 4:11:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

                        <<If authenticity is your major
                        concern, the Regia Anglorum is branching out from the U.K. to the U.S.
                        and I can get you their contact information if you wish.>>

                        Regia Anglorum, a primarily Anglo-Saxon era group, does neither 12th century
                        English, which is my particular area of interest, nor 14th century English,
                        which is my husband's area. La Belle Compagnie, a group here in the US, does
                        14th century, which might work for my husband, but leaves no outlet for my
                        interest in the 12th century. There is no "authentic" reenactment group in which
                        both my husband and I can indulge our primary areas of interest at the same
                        time. Neither of us is interested in switching to the other's time period, nor
                        do we consider involvement in two separate groups to be feasible in terms of
                        both time and money outlay, not to mention the fact that it would mean we either
                        can't pursue our hobbies together or we would both have to go in-depth in
                        areas we simply aren't interested in.
                        The SCA is literally the only group out there that allows us both to
                        participate in our specific areas of interest at the same time. Counseling people who
                        want more authenticity to find another group that would meet their needs
                        better ignores the facts that a) authenticity can be done in the SCA in a
                        satisfying manner, and b) that there may simply be no other such group available.

                        Lancaster, PA