Re: [SCA Newcomers] Fabric questions

  • Kirianna
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
      (Who wonders where people are finding used sheets that are suitable

      Goodwill or second hand stores!

      ~Kiri

    • Tirloch O'Riordain
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
        bronwynmgn@... wrote:

        > I understand full well that it can be difficult and expensive to find
        > some of
        > the fabrics used in period for garments, and that substitutions may
        > well be
        > needed at times (silk velvet for Renaissance stuff, for example; if
        > you can
        > find it, it's about $50/yard if you're really lucky). I've used cheap
        > fabrics
        > myself in my early years in the SCA, but I am now a convert to using only
        > period-correct fabrics, even if I have to scrimp and save to afford
        > them and limit
        > the number of garments I have. Competition is not and never has been
        > a reason;
        > I don't do competitions, ever. So, why?

        While I agree with your sentiment in spirit (I always think it a good
        thing to promote the authentic experience and to promote education), I
        do think that you are missing certain realities. You stated that you
        used cheap fabrics in your early years but now...

        What you are missing in this logic is that these people are in their
        early years, many of them are making a first attempt at garb. They are
        making now the same decisions that you made years ago. Some of them will
        find us a wonderful experience, others may not stick around. Your
        decision to switch to more period and expensive clothing is a decision
        made about a known future. You know that you will use these clothes. You
        know that you are going to be around in a year or two. While I hope that
        new people will find our group worthy of their spare time, that may not
        be a decision that they have made yet. That is the reason why our
        corpora states that the only requirement is that you make an 'attempt"
        at pre-seveteenth century clothing. We do not want to restrict them. We
        want them to come and to learn and to play. Maybe someday they will
        convert as you did, maybe they will not. There are many people for whom
        the SCA has become their premiere hobby, and they apply much of their
        free time and budget to it. There are many others however for whom it is
        a minor hobby, and they do not wish to dedicate much time or money to
        it. We have to understand this, and not apply our views to those people,
        but rather assist them at any level that they wish to commit to.

        Your Servant,

        Tirloch
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
          In a message dated 7/1/2004 3:55:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

          <<So dont go ragging on people and saying it's wrong to use cheeper fabric
          and old sheets just because we cant all have money like you. >>

          I was not ragging on people who have to use cheap fabric if they want garb at
          all, nor on people who choose to use cheap fabric because they want to spend
          their money on other things, like period musical instruments, armor, or a
          flat-screen TV - or even the rent on their apartment or food for their kids. Nor
          did I say it was "wrong" to use cheap fabrics - I said I found it better to
          use period ones. Saying one thing is better does not mean the other thing is
          "wrong". I'm not rolling in money, contrary to your opinion - one paycheck a
          month pays my mortgage, and all but about $200 of the other one goes to pay
          other bills. Most of that $200 a month goes for gas, food, mundane clothes (which
          I wear until they fall apart, regardless of changing fashions), and taking
          care of my cats. I still choose to use some of that money, spent wisely, to
          buy period fabrics for my garb.

          I was responding to the people who insist that the only reason to consider
          using period fabrics is if you want to win competitions. I gave a variety of
          reasons why I have found saving my money for period fabrics to be more practical
          and a better use of the money I do have. Your mileage may vary, of course,
          and you are certainly free to choose to spend your money where you will, and to
          wear what you like. I simply tried to present an alternative and far more
          practical argument to competitions as a reason to use period fabrics, and got
          attacked for it.

          Lancaster, PA

        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
            Ahhhhh,
            Then what we had here was a failya to communicate...

            Now your earlier post makes better sense to me!

            I have always liked the sound advice you have always given and the
            way your earlier post read to me was a bit of a shock. I'M glad that
            is cleared up to me!

            Williamk

          • Mackenzie
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Kirianna <kitani@c...> wrote:
              > I agree....
              >
              > And, you can still learn about life in the Middle Ages while wearing
              > cotton too!

              The way you guys are talking, you make it sound as if cotton wasn't
              period! Cotton is perfectly period, especially if you're from the
              Orient, Middle East, Byzantium, Italy, or Egypt. It was available in
              all of those areas for anyone of merchant class or higher. Lower
              classes than that in Egypt, slightly east of Middle East, and Orient.
              The nobility (as long as they weren't very low, poor nobility) could
              afford it in France. England's about the only place where you would
              need a royal connection to own cotton (the S&H was too high! LOL).

              I suggest you guys take a visit over to SCA_Normans. Kirsten has tons
              of information on linen and wool and her arguments about how cotton is
              very period (Kirsten is a merchant with plenty of experience).
            • Terrie B.
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 3, 2004
                Oh dear. I seemed to have stirred up the pot. I truly apologize if I
                my question has caused any disturbances. My thanks to all who replied!
                I do value your input!

                Not quite scared away,

              • Tirloch O'Riordain
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 3, 2004
                  Terrie B. wrote:

                  > Oh dear. I seemed to have stirred up the pot. I truly apologize if I
                  > my question has caused any disturbances. My thanks to all who replied!
                  > I do value your input!
                  >

                  > Not quite scared away,

                  Greetings,

                  You stirred nothing up dear Lady... you but asked a simple question.
                  As in all large organizations, occasionally different subjects will
                  strike cords with certain people, which often brings out more of an
                  emotional response than they may wish. I am sad that such a discussion
                  would take place on this list, but please take no fault of it upon
                  yourself. If nothing else, you were given a good indicator of the many
                  different views people have about costuming in the SCA, and therefore
                  you have a good starting point from which to make up your own mind on
                  what appeals to you.

                  I hope that you find the SCA to be a rewarding pastime, as so many of us
                  have.

                  Your Servant,

                  Tirloch