Re: [SCA Newcomers] Fabric questions

  • Kirianna
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
      I agree....

      And, you can still learn about life in the Middle Ages while wearing
      cotton too!

      ~Kirianna

      --
      www.jackntracie.com
      Live, and learn...

    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
        Ya know, I do have to agree with this to a point.

        Yes the fabrics that were used in period do work very well for period
        clothes and they wear very well. They are suppose to since, in
        period, that is what the folks had and it had to. And yes the SCA is
        suppose to be educational, but isn't technique the more important
        thing? If A&S was limited to total authenticity, I doubt that we
        would see many entries. For example, how many costumers actually
        work with period fabric that is made as it was in period, with
        equipment made as it was in period?

        OK, I can afford the "correct" fabric, even at $50 per yard, (it may
        be the only fabric I buy for a couple of months though) but I am
        still not above buying good cotton fabric when I can find it on
        sale. Sorry, but I baulk at $10 a yard stuff (going price at my
        local fabric store for linen, if it is available.). I search the
        bargin tables, just like anyone else. Yes, I am going to bite the
        bullet and pay the bucks for linen and wool soon, but I will still
        make good ol' cotton tunics and hoods as well. They are comfortable,
        wear well, and quite frankly suit the purpose. Also, I know a number
        of folks that share The Dream that quite frankly have difficulty
        scraping up enough to pay gas to go to events and have to do without
        to pay gate. They have done marvelous things with bits and prices
        from yard sales, and quite frankly won a Frugal Garb contest or two.

        Yes, the period fabrics are good, but I would rather see my friends
        at an event in bedsheets than not at all...

        William
        (Who wonders where people are finding used sheets that are suitable
        for garb?)

      • Kirianna
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
          (Who wonders where people are finding used sheets that are suitable

          Goodwill or second hand stores!

          ~Kiri

        • tori T
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
            As far as finding used bed sheets suitable, most of the time I use my old bed sheets (I haven't used many but from my old twin bed and now in a queen). Sometimes I can find some at garage sales, but most of the time I would use the flat sheet cause not many people use them or really pay attention to them (most people I know let me refraise that). but not too often. Also you can find some at a nearby goodwill or anystore of the such. You could probably find some at an outlet store or any store like that with not much wrong with it that you can cut around.

            Antonia

            chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Ya know, I do have to agree with this to a point.

          • Katie Pleasance
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
              Huzzah for William! That's the attitude we newbies need to hear.

              Some of you old-timers need to remember: Intimidated Newbies Won't Be SCA
              Newbies For Long -- They Will Be Doing Something Other Than SCA.

              Katie

              >Yes, the period fabrics are good, but I would rather see my friends
              >at an event in bedsheets than not at all...
              >William
              >(Who wonders where people are finding used sheets that are suitable
              >for garb?)
            • Susan Farmer
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
                And on the topic of "period fabrics ..."

                I thought the Authenticity Fabric Note was a tad over the top and
                I've played in the SCA on and off since there were only 4 kingdoms.

                The purpose of this particular group is to **encourage** newcomers,
                not *discourage* them.

                Jerusha in Meridies
              • Tirloch O'Riordain
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
                  bronwynmgn@... wrote:

                  > I understand full well that it can be difficult and expensive to find
                  > some of
                  > the fabrics used in period for garments, and that substitutions may
                  > well be
                  > needed at times (silk velvet for Renaissance stuff, for example; if
                  > you can
                  > find it, it's about $50/yard if you're really lucky). I've used cheap
                  > fabrics
                  > myself in my early years in the SCA, but I am now a convert to using only
                  > period-correct fabrics, even if I have to scrimp and save to afford
                  > them and limit
                  > the number of garments I have. Competition is not and never has been
                  > a reason;
                  > I don't do competitions, ever. So, why?

                  While I agree with your sentiment in spirit (I always think it a good
                  thing to promote the authentic experience and to promote education), I
                  do think that you are missing certain realities. You stated that you
                  used cheap fabrics in your early years but now...

                  What you are missing in this logic is that these people are in their
                  early years, many of them are making a first attempt at garb. They are
                  making now the same decisions that you made years ago. Some of them will
                  find us a wonderful experience, others may not stick around. Your
                  decision to switch to more period and expensive clothing is a decision
                  made about a known future. You know that you will use these clothes. You
                  know that you are going to be around in a year or two. While I hope that
                  new people will find our group worthy of their spare time, that may not
                  be a decision that they have made yet. That is the reason why our
                  corpora states that the only requirement is that you make an 'attempt"
                  at pre-seveteenth century clothing. We do not want to restrict them. We
                  want them to come and to learn and to play. Maybe someday they will
                  convert as you did, maybe they will not. There are many people for whom
                  the SCA has become their premiere hobby, and they apply much of their
                  free time and budget to it. There are many others however for whom it is
                  a minor hobby, and they do not wish to dedicate much time or money to
                  it. We have to understand this, and not apply our views to those people,
                  but rather assist them at any level that they wish to commit to.

                  Your Servant,

                  Tirloch
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
                    In a message dated 7/1/2004 3:55:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

                    <<So dont go ragging on people and saying it's wrong to use cheeper fabric
                    and old sheets just because we cant all have money like you. >>

                    I was not ragging on people who have to use cheap fabric if they want garb at
                    all, nor on people who choose to use cheap fabric because they want to spend
                    their money on other things, like period musical instruments, armor, or a
                    flat-screen TV - or even the rent on their apartment or food for their kids. Nor
                    did I say it was "wrong" to use cheap fabrics - I said I found it better to
                    use period ones. Saying one thing is better does not mean the other thing is
                    "wrong". I'm not rolling in money, contrary to your opinion - one paycheck a
                    month pays my mortgage, and all but about $200 of the other one goes to pay
                    other bills. Most of that $200 a month goes for gas, food, mundane clothes (which
                    I wear until they fall apart, regardless of changing fashions), and taking
                    care of my cats. I still choose to use some of that money, spent wisely, to
                    buy period fabrics for my garb.

                    I was responding to the people who insist that the only reason to consider
                    using period fabrics is if you want to win competitions. I gave a variety of
                    reasons why I have found saving my money for period fabrics to be more practical
                    and a better use of the money I do have. Your mileage may vary, of course,
                    and you are certainly free to choose to spend your money where you will, and to
                    wear what you like. I simply tried to present an alternative and far more
                    practical argument to competitions as a reason to use period fabrics, and got
                    attacked for it.

                    Lancaster, PA

                  • chemistbb3
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
                      Ahhhhh,
                      Then what we had here was a failya to communicate...

                      Now your earlier post makes better sense to me!

                      I have always liked the sound advice you have always given and the
                      way your earlier post read to me was a bit of a shock. I'M glad that
                      is cleared up to me!

                      Williamk

                    • Mackenzie
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 1, 2004
                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Kirianna <kitani@c...> wrote:
                        > I agree....
                        >
                        > And, you can still learn about life in the Middle Ages while wearing
                        > cotton too!

                        The way you guys are talking, you make it sound as if cotton wasn't
                        period! Cotton is perfectly period, especially if you're from the
                        Orient, Middle East, Byzantium, Italy, or Egypt. It was available in
                        all of those areas for anyone of merchant class or higher. Lower
                        classes than that in Egypt, slightly east of Middle East, and Orient.
                        The nobility (as long as they weren't very low, poor nobility) could
                        afford it in France. England's about the only place where you would
                        need a royal connection to own cotton (the S&H was too high! LOL).

                        I suggest you guys take a visit over to SCA_Normans. Kirsten has tons
                        of information on linen and wool and her arguments about how cotton is
                        very period (Kirsten is a merchant with plenty of experience).
                      • Terrie B.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 3, 2004
                          Oh dear. I seemed to have stirred up the pot. I truly apologize if I
                          my question has caused any disturbances. My thanks to all who replied!
                          I do value your input!

                          Not quite scared away,

                        • Tirloch O'Riordain
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 3, 2004
                            Terrie B. wrote:

                            > Oh dear. I seemed to have stirred up the pot. I truly apologize if I
                            > my question has caused any disturbances. My thanks to all who replied!
                            > I do value your input!
                            >

                            > Not quite scared away,

                            Greetings,

                            You stirred nothing up dear Lady... you but asked a simple question.
                            As in all large organizations, occasionally different subjects will
                            strike cords with certain people, which often brings out more of an
                            emotional response than they may wish. I am sad that such a discussion
                            would take place on this list, but please take no fault of it upon
                            yourself. If nothing else, you were given a good indicator of the many
                            different views people have about costuming in the SCA, and therefore
                            you have a good starting point from which to make up your own mind on
                            what appeals to you.

                            I hope that you find the SCA to be a rewarding pastime, as so many of us
                            have.

                            Your Servant,

                            Tirloch