Re: [SCA Newcomers] Digest Number 634

  • Sharon Persley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
      Hi Tereysa,
      I am Iseabail McTavish of CulCulium (Columbus, IN.) ( I am their Chatelaine as well)
      I am no expert on cloth or clothing but a broadcloth t tunic would be fine if "dressed up" correctly. What I mean is the right belt and shoes/or no shoes, trinkets or scarves... I do small bells (they were a gift). But you can use just about anything to make your clothes from. I have a dress that was made from a pair of curtains. I mean the heavy duty curtains that you would have found in a house around the 70's or so. Found them at a yard sale and purchased them for $1.00 a piece. I have another dress (One of my first dresses) made out of poly blend. As long as you are not going to try to put this in a competion for authentisity almost any fabric will do.
      As for and Adult link to archives ... I am not sure what you mean. Archieves are archieves. I do not know that we seperate according to material with in an archieve or of an archieve.
      Always in the Service of the Dream,
      Iseabail McTavish

      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Fabric questions
      From: "Terrie B."

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:04:53 -0000
      From: "Terrie B."
      Subject: Fabric questions

      Hello everyone!

      I would like to know some safe substitutions for fabric. I've been
      doing a lot of reading on dresses and cothardies. I've also
      experimented with some patterns. However I just can't afford linen in
      my area - which is $12 yard and up. ( I live in a small town in east
      cental Ontario )

      I've been searching the archives but haven't seen a direct answer to
      this question. I've looked at so many pattern sites my head is
      spinning! I'd just like to know what I can use for fabric so I can not
      be embarassed in my cotton broadcloth tunic at my next event...

      (BTW, what is with the adult links in your archive there?)

      YIS,

      (Terrie)

      Tereysa Partera
      Petrea Thule, Septentria

    • Graham Sproule
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
        Maybe something that is not 100 % linen. Rocketmail still exists??? I though it was marged with yahoo mail and elimated. wow! I had no idea. - GS--- On Tue 06/29, < scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com > wrote:From: [mailto: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com]To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comDate: 29 Jun 2004 17:32:41 -0000Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Digest Number 634There is 1 message in this issue.Topics in this digest:1. Fabric questionsFrom: "Terrie B." ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Message: 1Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:04:53 -0000From: "Terrie B." Subject: Fabric questionsHello everyone!I would like to know some safe substitutions for fabric. I've been doing a lot of reading on dresses and cothardies. I've also experimented with some patterns. However I just can't afford linen in my area - which is $12 yard and up. ( I live in a small town in east cental Ontario )I've been searching the archives but haven't seen a direct answer to this question. I've looked at so many pattern sites my head is spinning! I'd just like to know what I can use for fabric so I can not be embarassed in my cotton broadcloth tunic at my next event...(BTW, what is with the adult links in your archive there?)YIS,(Terrie)Tereysa ParteraPetrea Thule, Septentria

      • Mackenzie Morgan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
          However I just
          > can't afford linen in
          > my area - which is $12 yard and up. ( I live in a
          > small town in east
          > cental Ontario )

          1. Try eBay--100% Linen for $4-$5/yard
          2. Try wool
          3. Try a blend (not with poly-anything) with cotton
          or wool

          > I've been searching the archives but haven't seen a
          > direct answer to
          > this question. I've looked at so many pattern sites
          > my head is
          > spinning! I'd just like to know what I can use for
          > fabric so I can not
          > be embarassed in my cotton broadcloth tunic at my
          > next event...

          actually, cotton *is* period. the italians had the
          best access of europe, being near the meditteranean,
          and since sicily was the head of the fabric industry,
          it got around much better than you'd expect from what
          you'd have heard. it wasnt always brought from india,
          we all have heard of egyptian cotton, there was also
          cotton in greece and italy (i think). in england only
          royalty and very rich nobility could afford it. in
          france, however, it was more available to nobility and
          occasionally rather rich merchants. you may want to
          go scope out the recent messages on the SCANormans
          list since there's a lady on there, Kirsten, who is a
          merchant and gave us all the lowdown on the
          availability of linen and wool, their uses, pros,
          cons, and rebuttle to the idea that cotton isnt
          period.

          > (BTW, what is with the adult links in your archive
          > there?)

          spammers

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Terrie B.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2004
            Rocketmail did merge with Yahoo years ago. However, Yahoo was gracious
            enough to let me keep the address. I do have to log into Yahoo to
            check mail etc.

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Sproule"