Re: Ohio/Indiana SCA

  • pAuL
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2004
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <danaar1@y...> wrote:
      > I live between Dayton OH, and Richmond IN (slightly closer to IN)
      and
      > was wondering what the closest SCA group would be. I'm on the
      south
      > side of I35 so Hamilton, OH isn't "that" far either. I'm
      particularly
      > interested in learning to sword fight and was wondering which
      group
      > would be the most open to female fighters.
      I would hope that any group near you is open to female fighters.
      Unfortunately I don't know the lay out of Indiana well enough to
      answer this question. All I know is that theres a group in Lafayette
      and the only reason I know that is because my fiancee is currently
      playing there while she goes to grad school.

      > I've read some of the archieves and I hope what I'm about to ask
      > isn't against list rules, but I'm writing a chapter over "myth-
      > busting" in fantasy writing and could use a little help from any
      of
      > the fantasy readers out there.
      >
      > I need specific examples of the misuse of weapons in fantasy books
      > and while I belong to a lot of fantasy writers' groups, most
      haven't
      > been able to help because they don't know enough about weapons. I
      did
      > a search for medieval weapons and the SCA groups were the only
      groups
      > that turned up. If anyone could recommend a different group that I
      > should ask, I would appreciate that too.
      Do you have any examples of weapon use that you think is not
      accurate. The only fantasy that I've read is J.R.R. Tolkien and
      currently R.A.Salvatore, but once I finish his forgotten realms
      books I hope to start reading more.
    • Milica of Varna
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 21, 2004
        I think the closest group might be The Marche of the Unicorn in Oxford. I
        don't know if they currently have many female fighters but it's an active
        group with several activities each year. They are also a Caton of the Barony
        Flaming Gryphon http://www.midrealm.org/gryphony/ which is very active.

        Milica

        On Tuesday 15 June 2004 18:50, pAuL wrote:
        > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <danaar1@y...> wrote:
        > > I live between Dayton OH, and Richmond IN (slightly closer to IN)
        >
        > and
        >
        > > was wondering what the closest SCA group would be. I'm on the
        >
        > south
        >
        > > side of I35 so Hamilton, OH isn't "that" far either. I'm
        >
        > particularly
        >
        > > interested in learning to sword fight and was wondering which
        >
        > group
        >
        > > would be the most open to female fighters.

        THL Milica of Varna
        Middle Kingdom Chronicler
        chronicler@...

      • Doug Gintaras
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2004
          If you can make it out to Lebanon, OH you can train with Duches Elina who
          wrote the book (literally) on fighters that happen to be female

          http://www.peak.org/~grainne/Ironrose/armoredrose.html

          It is a great resource for all fighters, but is geared towards women.
          Essentially, it discusses the sex and gender differences between males and
          females and how that pertains to fighter-development. It also has a flipbook
          in the back which demonstrates many basic shots for new fighters.

          I strongly recommend getting a copy.

          ~Gintaras, C.R.C.~
          Midrealm
          Midlands
          Ravenslake

          >From: Milica of Varna <milica@...>
          >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Ohio/Indiana SCA
          >Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:39:51 -0400
          >
          >I think the closest group might be The Marche of the Unicorn in Oxford. I
          >don't know if they currently have many female fighters but it's an active
          >group with several activities each year. They are also a Caton of the
          >Barony
          >Flaming Gryphon http://www.midrealm.org/gryphony/ which is very active.
          >
          >Milica
          >
          >On Tuesday 15 June 2004 18:50, pAuL wrote:
          > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tina" <danaar1@y...> wrote:
          > > > I live between Dayton OH, and Richmond IN (slightly closer to IN)
          > >
          > > and
          > >
          > > > was wondering what the closest SCA group would be. I'm on the
          > >
          > > south
          > >
          > > > side of I35 so Hamilton, OH isn't "that" far either. I'm
          > >
          > > particularly
          > >
          > > > interested in learning to sword fight and was wondering which
          > >
          > > group
          > >
          > > > would be the most open to female fighters.
          >
          >--
          >**************************************************************************************
          >
          >THL Milica of Varna
          >Middle Kingdom Chronicler
          >chronicler@...
          >
          >**************************************************************************************

        • Tina
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 22, 2004
            Thank you both for the links. I'll have to pick up a copy of the
            book. Oxford would be closer to me than Lebanon so I'll check there
            first but hopefully I'll be able to make it to Lebanon a few times to
            either work with or watch Duches Elina.

            > http://www.peak.org/~grainne/Ironrose/armoredrose.html

            >They are also a Caton of the Barony Flaming Gryphon
            http://www.midrealm.org/gryphony/ which is very active.

            Thanks again,

            Tina