[SCA Newcomers] Re: Personna Question

  • Sir Ix
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
      > > Greetings!
      >> As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
      >had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
      >acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
      >tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
      >as others.

      OK. I have recently joined this list and I am the Aztec that has been
      referenced. The rule of thumb has been real contact with Western
      Civilization during period times, although this is not an actual
      rule. I chose Aztec instead of Classical Mayan because of this. The
      Aztec had major contact during period times as the conquest was from
      1519-1521 and the Spanish moved in and ruled for the last 80 years of
      period times.

      North American is a little trickier to document. The five civilized
      tribes of the northeast contact really started after 1600 with
      colonization. Floridian tribes did have significant contact, but this
      is not the Seminole. They came in because most of the tribes of what
      is now Florida were killed off by disease. The American southwest is
      possible by some contact with the Spanish in the late 1500s, but once
      again these are not the tribes that you think of in those areas. You
      can make arguments for other tribes, but be aware that they are just
      that, arguments.

      My persona blends real with fantasy. I have a partial persona history
      at http://terraefinis.org/ix and I really need to finish it. The
      truth is that Aztecs were brought back to show at court after the
      conquest, but they died. The other truth is that the courts of Europe
      in the 1500s were fascinated by the tales of the savages of the New
      World.

      Finally, be ready for a hard time and have it work against you. It
      did me to some extent, but I backed things up with a knowledge of how
      the cultures interacted and kept things as historical as I could. I
      even wear European garb most of the time now. This is based on the
      MANY half Aztec sons and daughters who did return to Spain.

      Anyone interested in this can e-mail me privately at any time.

      --
      Sir Ixtilixochitl
      Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

      (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)