Re: Personna Question

  • chemistbb3
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
      I have seen some, but very few, Native American personas. If you
      wish to adopt one, be prepared to do most of the research on it
      yourself. Also be prepared for some snide comments "behind your
      back".

      William

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Moersch
      <saddare_stormsister@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings!
      > As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
      had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
      acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
      tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
      as others.
      > Thanks!
      > -Shannon

    • Sir Ix
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
        > > Greetings!
        >> As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
        >had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
        >acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
        >tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
        >as others.

        OK. I have recently joined this list and I am the Aztec that has been
        referenced. The rule of thumb has been real contact with Western
        Civilization during period times, although this is not an actual
        rule. I chose Aztec instead of Classical Mayan because of this. The
        Aztec had major contact during period times as the conquest was from
        1519-1521 and the Spanish moved in and ruled for the last 80 years of
        period times.

        North American is a little trickier to document. The five civilized
        tribes of the northeast contact really started after 1600 with
        colonization. Floridian tribes did have significant contact, but this
        is not the Seminole. They came in because most of the tribes of what
        is now Florida were killed off by disease. The American southwest is
        possible by some contact with the Spanish in the late 1500s, but once
        again these are not the tribes that you think of in those areas. You
        can make arguments for other tribes, but be aware that they are just
        that, arguments.

        My persona blends real with fantasy. I have a partial persona history
        at http://terraefinis.org/ix and I really need to finish it. The
        truth is that Aztecs were brought back to show at court after the
        conquest, but they died. The other truth is that the courts of Europe
        in the 1500s were fascinated by the tales of the savages of the New
        World.

        Finally, be ready for a hard time and have it work against you. It
        did me to some extent, but I backed things up with a knowledge of how
        the cultures interacted and kept things as historical as I could. I
        even wear European garb most of the time now. This is based on the
        MANY half Aztec sons and daughters who did return to Spain.

        Anyone interested in this can e-mail me privately at any time.

        --
        Sir Ixtilixochitl
        Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

        (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)