SCA Name/Coat of Arms

  • dubleqwik
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2004
      Good Evening to All...

      Shame on me for taking the easy way out, but I thought to get quick
      answers to several questions. These concern selection of an SCA Name
      & subsequently a coat-of-arms.

      First...My own family name is very well documented as being around in
      Medieval England. Is there anything that prevents me from using such?

      Second...what restrictions are placed on adaptations of an actual
      coat-of-arms?

      Regards,
      Stefan
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
        The name restriction is for a "Historically significant" names. I am
        npot sure what would happen if you want to use a name that is
        actually listed on a roll somewhere, but I would not want to be the
        one to try it. The SCA actually allows for the inclusion of your a
        part of legal name as one element of your SCA name, even though it
        would be an exception to the normal rules. There are even some folks
        that have gone so far as to have their name legaly changed to take
        advantage of this exception.

        As to the coat of arms question. First, are you actually entitled by
        law to the use of your family's Coat of Arms? (Note that there are
        mundane legal issues in taking a mundanely registered Coat of Arms
        and using it as your own if you are not entitled to it. You can get
        sued by Govenment backed organizations.) Normally, the answer to
        this is no. Secondly, even if you are, I am not aware of any case
        where the SCA has allowed a protected Coat of Arms to be registered
        even by their rightful owner. This does not mean you can not use
        elements of that Coat of Arms in your own device, as long as they are
        not restricted by the SCA.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "dubleqwik" <DubleQwik@h...>