Re: Personna Question

  • pAuL
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26, 2004
      Yup thats correct. In fact I have heard of a gentleman here in
      Northshield that has an Aztec persona.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Moersch
      <saddare_stormsister@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings!
      > As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
      had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
      acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
      tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
      as others.
      > Thanks!
      > -Shannon

    • Alasdair MacIain
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2004
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mekilno" <mekilno@y...> wrote:
        > I actually have my own persona question - research.
        >
        > I either want to be a very early celt, or, as one of the heralds
        ahs
        > pointed out to me, my name is also an English gypsy name (wow!! A
        > period gypsy!!) and I was aondering if anyone had any links for
        > research into those personas?
        >
        > Everild,

        I don't have any clues about the celts but there are a couple of
        Yahoo Groups that deal with SCA Gypsys and they have provided links
        for better research in the past. One of them is
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA_Gypsy/

        They may be able to help you find what you are looking for. I did
        find a lot of information a couple of years ago while helping my
        daughter research a Gypsy personna but I don't have any of it now.

        Hope this helps,
        Alasdair
      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
          I have seen some, but very few, Native American personas. If you
          wish to adopt one, be prepared to do most of the research on it
          yourself. Also be prepared for some snide comments "behind your
          back".

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Moersch
          <saddare_stormsister@y...> wrote:
          > Greetings!
          > As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
          had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
          acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
          tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
          as others.
          > Thanks!
          > -Shannon

        • Sir Ix
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
            > > Greetings!
            >> As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
            >had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
            >acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
            >tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
            >as others.

            OK. I have recently joined this list and I am the Aztec that has been
            referenced. The rule of thumb has been real contact with Western
            Civilization during period times, although this is not an actual
            rule. I chose Aztec instead of Classical Mayan because of this. The
            Aztec had major contact during period times as the conquest was from
            1519-1521 and the Spanish moved in and ruled for the last 80 years of
            period times.

            North American is a little trickier to document. The five civilized
            tribes of the northeast contact really started after 1600 with
            colonization. Floridian tribes did have significant contact, but this
            is not the Seminole. They came in because most of the tribes of what
            is now Florida were killed off by disease. The American southwest is
            possible by some contact with the Spanish in the late 1500s, but once
            again these are not the tribes that you think of in those areas. You
            can make arguments for other tribes, but be aware that they are just
            that, arguments.

            My persona blends real with fantasy. I have a partial persona history
            at http://terraefinis.org/ix and I really need to finish it. The
            truth is that Aztecs were brought back to show at court after the
            conquest, but they died. The other truth is that the courts of Europe
            in the 1500s were fascinated by the tales of the savages of the New
            World.

            Finally, be ready for a hard time and have it work against you. It
            did me to some extent, but I backed things up with a knowledge of how
            the cultures interacted and kept things as historical as I could. I
            even wear European garb most of the time now. This is based on the
            MANY half Aztec sons and daughters who did return to Spain.

            Anyone interested in this can e-mail me privately at any time.

            --
            Sir Ixtilixochitl
            Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

            (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)