Re: Personna Question

  • pAuL
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26, 2004
      Yup thats correct. In fact I have heard of a gentleman here in
      Northshield that has an Aztec persona.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Moersch
      <saddare_stormsister@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings!
      > As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
      had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
      acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
      tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
      as others.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2004
        In a message dated 5/28/2004 4:10:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<I either want to be a very early celt, or, as one of the heralds ahs
        pointed out to me, my name is also an English gypsy name (wow!! A
        period gypsy!!) and I was aondering if anyone had any links for
        research into those personas?>>

        Can't help you with the gypsy part, but we need a clarification about the
        other. How do you define a "very early celt"? Is that a pre-Roman invasion of
        Britain celt, a Romano-British tribesman, or Hallstatt or La Tene? Anything
        other than the Romano British tribesman is pretty difficult to fit into a
        medieval/renaissance cultural set-up, as they are all BC cultures, and medieval
        doesn't begin until about 400 AD or so. I know there is no strict date for what
        is "too early" for the SCA, but it's made pretty clear in the governing
        documents that we're about medieval and Renaissance rather than any of the pre-Roman
        historical Celtic cultures.

        Lancaster, PA

      • Alasdair MacIain
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2004
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mekilno" <mekilno@y...> wrote:
          > I actually have my own persona question - research.
          >
          > I either want to be a very early celt, or, as one of the heralds
          ahs
          > pointed out to me, my name is also an English gypsy name (wow!! A
          > period gypsy!!) and I was aondering if anyone had any links for
          > research into those personas?
          >
          > Everild,

          I don't have any clues about the celts but there are a couple of
          Yahoo Groups that deal with SCA Gypsys and they have provided links
          for better research in the past. One of them is
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA_Gypsy/

          They may be able to help you find what you are looking for. I did
          find a lot of information a couple of years ago while helping my
          daughter research a Gypsy personna but I don't have any of it now.

          Hope this helps,
          Alasdair
        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
            I have seen some, but very few, Native American personas. If you
            wish to adopt one, be prepared to do most of the research on it
            yourself. Also be prepared for some snide comments "behind your
            back".

            William

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Moersch
            <saddare_stormsister@y...> wrote:
            > Greetings!
            > As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
            had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
            acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
            tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
            as others.
            > Thanks!
            > -Shannon

          • Sir Ix
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
              > > Greetings!
              >> As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
              >had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
              >acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
              >tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
              >as others.

              OK. I have recently joined this list and I am the Aztec that has been
              referenced. The rule of thumb has been real contact with Western
              Civilization during period times, although this is not an actual
              rule. I chose Aztec instead of Classical Mayan because of this. The
              Aztec had major contact during period times as the conquest was from
              1519-1521 and the Spanish moved in and ruled for the last 80 years of
              period times.

              North American is a little trickier to document. The five civilized
              tribes of the northeast contact really started after 1600 with
              colonization. Floridian tribes did have significant contact, but this
              is not the Seminole. They came in because most of the tribes of what
              is now Florida were killed off by disease. The American southwest is
              possible by some contact with the Spanish in the late 1500s, but once
              again these are not the tribes that you think of in those areas. You
              can make arguments for other tribes, but be aware that they are just
              that, arguments.

              My persona blends real with fantasy. I have a partial persona history
              at http://terraefinis.org/ix and I really need to finish it. The
              truth is that Aztecs were brought back to show at court after the
              conquest, but they died. The other truth is that the courts of Europe
              in the 1500s were fascinated by the tales of the savages of the New
              World.

              Finally, be ready for a hard time and have it work against you. It
              did me to some extent, but I backed things up with a knowledge of how
              the cultures interacted and kept things as historical as I could. I
              even wear European garb most of the time now. This is based on the
              MANY half Aztec sons and daughters who did return to Spain.

              Anyone interested in this can e-mail me privately at any time.

              --
              Sir Ixtilixochitl
              Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

              (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)