Personna Question

  • Shannon Moersch
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26, 2004
      Greetings!
      As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well as others.
      Thanks!
      -Shannon

    • pAuL
      Message 2 of 9 , May 26, 2004
        Yup thats correct. In fact I have heard of a gentleman here in
        Northshield that has an Aztec persona.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Moersch
        <saddare_stormsister@y...> wrote:
        > Greetings!
        > As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
        had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
        acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
        tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
        as others.
        > Thanks!
        > -Shannon

      • Tirloch O'Riordain
        Message 3 of 9 , May 26, 2004
          Shannon Moersch wrote:

          > Greetings!
          > As I understand it, one's persona can be any nationality that had
          > contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
          > acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
          > tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well as
          > others.
          > Thanks!
          > -Shannon

          Greetings,

          Yes, it can be done. In the Middle Kingdom, we have a Knight (Sir Ix,
          pronounced eesh) that is an Inca (I believe) warrior. Generally he
          dresses in European fashion for the day, since an Inca brought to the
          Court probably would be dressed appropriately by his benefactors
          (captors?). Yet when he fights, he has a faux leopard covering for his
          armor. I have never inquired as to whether he uses special weapons.
          Anyway, yes it can be done. This does not mean that all people in your
          area or group are going to be accepting of this, but you will be within
          the rules of the Society.

          Your Servant,

          Tirloch O'Riordain
          Message 4 of 9 , May 26, 2004
            In a message dated 5/26/2004 3:56:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that had contact
            with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be acceptable to adopt a
            Native American persona? Perhaps not all tribes/nations had contact, but the
            Iroquois certainly did, as well as others.>>

            It's certainly an option, and it can be done well. One thing to remember, if
            you want to do it accurately, is that technically the SCA is a European
            setting. Generally, Native Americans who made it back to the Old World either did
            so as curiosities, who would wear their native dress and be stared at most of
            the time, or took European names and wore European clothing, as Sir Ix does.
            Check out the true story of Pocahontas; I believe her English name was Mary
            Rolf or something similar. So I'm not sure how much scope there is for actually
            being a "Native American" in the sense that most people think of persona in
            the SCA; you'd be either a zoo exhibit or Europeanized.

            Lancaster, PA

          • mekilno
            Message 5 of 9 , May 28, 2004
              I actually have my own persona question - research.

              I either want to be a very early celt, or, as one of the heralds ahs
              pointed out to me, my name is also an English gypsy name (wow!! A
              period gypsy!!) and I was aondering if anyone had any links for
              research into those personas?

              Everild,
              realising she's babbling....
              Message 6 of 9 , May 31, 2004
                In a message dated 5/28/2004 4:10:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

                <<I either want to be a very early celt, or, as one of the heralds ahs
                pointed out to me, my name is also an English gypsy name (wow!! A
                period gypsy!!) and I was aondering if anyone had any links for
                research into those personas?>>

                Can't help you with the gypsy part, but we need a clarification about the
                other. How do you define a "very early celt"? Is that a pre-Roman invasion of
                Britain celt, a Romano-British tribesman, or Hallstatt or La Tene? Anything
                other than the Romano British tribesman is pretty difficult to fit into a
                medieval/renaissance cultural set-up, as they are all BC cultures, and medieval
                doesn't begin until about 400 AD or so. I know there is no strict date for what
                is "too early" for the SCA, but it's made pretty clear in the governing
                documents that we're about medieval and Renaissance rather than any of the pre-Roman
                historical Celtic cultures.

                Lancaster, PA

              • Alasdair MacIain
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2004
                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mekilno" <mekilno@y...> wrote:
                  > I actually have my own persona question - research.
                  >
                  > I either want to be a very early celt, or, as one of the heralds
                  ahs
                  > pointed out to me, my name is also an English gypsy name (wow!! A
                  > period gypsy!!) and I was aondering if anyone had any links for
                  > research into those personas?
                  >
                  > Everild,

                  I don't have any clues about the celts but there are a couple of
                  Yahoo Groups that deal with SCA Gypsys and they have provided links
                  for better research in the past. One of them is
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA_Gypsy/

                  They may be able to help you find what you are looking for. I did
                  find a lot of information a couple of years ago while helping my
                  daughter research a Gypsy personna but I don't have any of it now.

                  Hope this helps,
                  Alasdair
                • chemistbb3
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
                    I have seen some, but very few, Native American personas. If you
                    wish to adopt one, be prepared to do most of the research on it
                    yourself. Also be prepared for some snide comments "behind your
                    back".

                    William

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Moersch
                    <saddare_stormsister@y...> wrote:
                    > Greetings!
                    > As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
                    had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
                    acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
                    tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
                    as others.
                    > Thanks!
                    > -Shannon

                  • Sir Ix
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
                      > > Greetings!
                      >> As I understand it, one's personna can be any nationality that
                      >had contact with Europe during our time period. So then, it would be
                      >acceptable to adopt a Native American persona? Perhaps not all
                      >tribes/nations had contact, but the Iroquois certainly did, as well
                      >as others.

                      OK. I have recently joined this list and I am the Aztec that has been
                      referenced. The rule of thumb has been real contact with Western
                      Civilization during period times, although this is not an actual
                      rule. I chose Aztec instead of Classical Mayan because of this. The
                      Aztec had major contact during period times as the conquest was from
                      1519-1521 and the Spanish moved in and ruled for the last 80 years of
                      period times.

                      North American is a little trickier to document. The five civilized
                      tribes of the northeast contact really started after 1600 with
                      colonization. Floridian tribes did have significant contact, but this
                      is not the Seminole. They came in because most of the tribes of what
                      is now Florida were killed off by disease. The American southwest is
                      possible by some contact with the Spanish in the late 1500s, but once
                      again these are not the tribes that you think of in those areas. You
                      can make arguments for other tribes, but be aware that they are just
                      that, arguments.

                      My persona blends real with fantasy. I have a partial persona history
                      at http://terraefinis.org/ix and I really need to finish it. The
                      truth is that Aztecs were brought back to show at court after the
                      conquest, but they died. The other truth is that the courts of Europe
                      in the 1500s were fascinated by the tales of the savages of the New
                      World.

                      Finally, be ready for a hard time and have it work against you. It
                      did me to some extent, but I backed things up with a knowledge of how
                      the cultures interacted and kept things as historical as I could. I
                      even wear European garb most of the time now. This is based on the
                      MANY half Aztec sons and daughters who did return to Spain.

                      Anyone interested in this can e-mail me privately at any time.

                      --
                      Sir Ixtilixochitl
                      Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

                      (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)