Subject: tomato issue

  • pdruss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2004
      In a message dated 5/14/04 9:20:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 13:19:47 -0000
      From: "ladynorelle" <ladynorelle@...>

      help! I'm autocratting an event in a couple of weeks. I asked one of
      the local households if they would like to provide lunch for the
      event. they said yes. Here's my problem. They want to serve (among
      other things) gazpacho. Now the event does have a spanish inquisition
      theme, so I have to consider the time period, location, and that
      whole columbus thing. But my understanding has always been that
      tomatoes are not period, even after they had been "discovered" they
      were not widely eaten and even considered possibly poisonous.

      You might mention it casually that tomatoes aren't period and see if they
      notice or care. But I would let them serve the tomatoes without a fuss if they
      still wish to, as an encouragement to participate in the event. After the event
      you could sit down and have an "after-event meeting", ask them how they liked
      being part of the event staff, what problems did they have that could be
      improve for next time and what did they learn in general that can help them improve
      for next time.

      Personally I think this is rather a small issue and it's more important to
      encourage participation then to be 100% period.

      Tamara
      Trimaris