Re: tomato issue

  • SCARayne@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15, 2004
      Forgive the quick plug for another Yahoo eGroup:

      This list covers all areas of Food and Feasting within Medieval
      reenactment groups... although SCA is in the Title, it also has
      members from other groups (Kingdom of Acre, Adrian Empire, Empire of
      Chivalry and Steel, even a few LARPs and educational historic
      groups). Authenticity cooking is NOT a requirement to join the list -
      the scope is fairly broad. The is a FILE and LINK SECTION filled
      with answers to questions such as yours...as well as many others...
      i.e. is Honey Butter Period as a bread spread at feast, What can I do
      to add ambiance to a Feast Hall, Is their a cooking guid in my area,
      etc.

      Right now new members have to be approved, but only because of a
      recent rash of SPAM... all are welcome to join.

      Rayne
      Meridies

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "ladynorelle" <ladynorelle@y...>
      wrote:
      > help! I'm autocratting an event in a couple of weeks. I asked one
      of the local households if they would like to provide lunch for the
      > event. they said yes. Here's my problem. They want to serve (among
      > other things) gazpacho. Now the event does have a spanish
      inquisition theme, so I have to consider the time period, location,
      and that whole columbus thing. But my understanding has always been
      that tomatoes are not period, even after they had been "discovered"
      they were not widely eaten and even considered possibly poisonous.

      > Even though I've been in for over a decade, cooking has never been
      an area I've researched myself. So I'm perfectly willing to admit
      I'm wrong on this one. But I don't think I am. I also don't want
      this group of people to look like they don't have a clue, especially
      since > they are a household of mostly new people looking for their
      place in our shire and the SCA. (which is part of why I asked them
      to do lunch in the first place.)