Re: [SCA Newcomers] under 18 at pennsic (was good eve, m'lords, m'ladies)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2004
      In a message dated 5/7/2004 5:49:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<Yes, I know it is fought near here. I should be going this summer,
      but does it have to be parents or can my parents sign a permission
      form?>>

      If you are under 18, you must have either your actual parents or a
      court-appointed legal guardian (with the court papers to prove it) on site with you
      during the entire war. They can't just come and sign you in or send a signed
      permission form with someone else; they must stay at the War the entire time that
      you do. This is a rule of the Coopers, the people who own the land where
      Pennsic is held, and it is unbendable. Before they started enforcing this rule,
      they found themselves in some very dicey situation with teenagers who got
      injured or in trouble and whose parents were days of travel away, and they swore it
      would never happen again.
      Please don't try to fake your way past it (I'm not saying you would, but
      there are people who try every year). If you got caught, you could well get
      yourself blacklisted from ever being able to attend Pennsic - the Coopers have a
      list of people that they won't allow on their land because of previous severe
      transgressions of the rules. That's not worth it when a little patience will
      cure the problem of being too young.

      Lancaster, PA