Re: [SCA Newcomers] good eve, m'lords, m'ladies

  • Mackenzie
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2004
      > Welcome. I'm not sure if you're already thinking of an English
      persona, but
      > have you thought about looking at Hungarian names, due to your
      interest in
      > pysanky? There are sites to research Hungarian names.
      > http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/ This is the website for St.
      Gabriels
      > and there is a place for hungarian as well as many other cultures.

      Yeah, I want an English persona for now, just because that's the
      history I'm most familiar with (aside from US). I probably will have
      a Ukrainian or Russian one eventually though.

      > It sounds like you will fit right in. I'm sure you know that the
      Pennsic
      > War is held in your Barony (mundanely in Slippery Rock). It is the
      > "Debatable Land" over which a war is fought every summer between the
      > Kingdoms of the East and the Middle. It is a great deal of fun.
      I'm not
      > sure of your age, but you do need to be 18 to attend without your
      parents.

      Yes, I know it is fought near here. I should be going this summer,
      but does it have to be parents or can my parents sign a permission
      form? My mom's cousin (she's my mom's age) said she'd take me with
      her, but my mom doesn't like medieval stuff (she thinks I'm nuts) and
      my mom would *never* let my dad go with her cousin(divorce=feud),
      though maybe I could pretend he wasn't hanging out with her
      (scheming).

      > There are many folks who have Japanese personas in the SCA, so
      maybe your
      > friend will enjoy looking into that as well.

      I'msitting in school and I read that to my friend and she said she
      might not be able to join because her parents may not let her.
      She'll be 18 before I will.

      > Have fun, and hope to meet you some day,
      > Alison Wodehalle
      > Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East Kingdom
      >

      > Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 03:38:27 -0000
      > From: "Mackenzie" <prettypysanky@y...>
      > Subject: good eve, m'lords, m'ladies
      >
      > ^ lmao hehehe...can't believe i said that online (not saying i
      > wouldn't say it in person...)
      >
      > I'm not actually in the SCA yet because my parents aren't into it so
      > they wouldn't take me, but I've been researching since I found out
      > about it in Nov. 2002 (yes, lots of research--enough that I did a
      > research paper on 12th century english garb from memory). I've
      > chosen my given name(Cassandra), but I'm still trying to come up
      > with a surname (probably something with eggs, sewing, or scribal
      > arts--I doubt they could be combined). The eggs is because I
      > practice the ancient art of pysanky that was definitely around in
      > medieval times, and the scribal arts because I've been doing
      > calligraphy for 5 years. And sewing because I like sewing. A lot.
      >
      > When I join, I've got my two best friends from school are going to
      > join with me because we all like medieval stuff (I think I like it
      > most of the 3 of us, one girl is more into Japan and vampires and
      > the other is into being a hardcore fan of punk rock...note to self:
      > tell her "kickass!" wasn't the expression of choice in medieval
      > times).
      >
      > I live in the Kingdom of Æthelmearc, specifically the Barony Marche
      > of the Debatable Lands and I forget who our new king is *oops.*
    • Mericke MacDonald
      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2004
        Maybe you should gently tactfully remind your parents that many young
        people your age are into drugs drinking gangs and casual sex. There
        are much more dangerous and unhealthy hobbies than sewing making
        beads singing and rooting for guys with sticks.

        Best of luck!

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Mackenzie" <prettypysanky@y...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > > arts--I doubt they could be combined). The eggs is because I
        > > practice the ancient art of pysanky that was definitely around in
        > > medieval times, and the scribal arts because I've been doing
        > > calligraphy for 5 years. And sewing because I like sewing. A
        lot.

        > > When I join, I've got my two best friends from school are going to
        > > join with me because we all like medieval stuff (I think I like it
        > > most of the 3 of us, one girl is more into Japan and vampires and
        > > the other is into being a hardcore fan of punk rock...note to
        self:
        > > tell her "kickass!" wasn't the expression of choice in medieval
        > > times).
        > >
        > > I live in the Kingdom of Æthelmearc, specifically the Barony
        Marche
        > > of the Debatable Lands and I forget who our new king is *oops.*
      • celtk9equine
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2004
          Okay, I'm a parent, and sometimes parents worry about their kids (no
          matter how old or young) getting into things that could harm them
          i.e. cults, gangs, etc. Your parents may not want you to join the
          SCA or participate in SCA events because they don't understand it or
          know anything about it. The way to solve that problem is ask them
          to attend your local group's meeting with you so you call all ask
          questions and see what it is about. If they are into PC use, have
          them check out the SCA website www.sca.org and any local web pages.
          In our Barony, we have different "sub groups" one of which is
          a "College" composed mainly of high school students (and some college
          students who were members in HS). There are adult supervisors
          (marshalls & seneschals) who are parents, teachers and/or members of
          the SCA. However, if you heart is just set on Pennsic, you'll have
          to wait :)