Re: [SCA Newcomers] good eve, m'lords, m'ladies

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2004
      Good day M'lady and well met.

      Welcome. I'm not sure if you're already thinking of an English persona, but
      have you thought about looking at Hungarian names, due to your interest in
      pysanky? There are sites to research Hungarian names.
      http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/ This is the website for St. Gabriels
      and there is a place for hungarian as well as many other cultures.

      It sounds like you will fit right in. I'm sure you know that the Pennsic
      War is held in your Barony (mundanely in Slippery Rock). It is the
      "Debatable Land" over which a war is fought every summer between the
      Kingdoms of the East and the Middle. It is a great deal of fun. I'm not
      sure of your age, but you do need to be 18 to attend without your parents.

      There are many folks who have Japanese personas in the SCA, so maybe your
      friend will enjoy looking into that as well.

      Have fun, and hope to meet you some day,
      Alison Wodehalle
      Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East Kingdom

      Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 03:38:27 -0000
      From: "Mackenzie" <prettypysanky@...>
      Subject: good eve, m'lords, m'ladies

      ^ lmao hehehe...can't believe i said that online (not saying i
      wouldn't say it in person...)

      I'm not actually in the SCA yet because my parents aren't into it so
      they wouldn't take me, but I've been researching since I found out
      about it in Nov. 2002 (yes, lots of research--enough that I did a
      research paper on 12th century english garb from memory). I've
      chosen my given name(Cassandra), but I'm still trying to come up
      with a surname (probably something with eggs, sewing, or scribal
      arts--I doubt they could be combined). The eggs is because I
      practice the ancient art of pysanky that was definitely around in
      medieval times, and the scribal arts because I've been doing
      calligraphy for 5 years. And sewing because I like sewing. A lot.

      When I join, I've got my two best friends from school are going to
      join with me because we all like medieval stuff (I think I like it
      most of the 3 of us, one girl is more into Japan and vampires and
      the other is into being a hardcore fan of punk rock...note to self:
      tell her "kickass!" wasn't the expression of choice in medieval
      times).

      I live in the Kingdom of Æthelmearc, specifically the Barony Marche
      of the Debatable Lands and I forget who our new king is *oops.*
    • Mackenzie
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2004
        > Welcome. I'm not sure if you're already thinking of an English
        persona, but
        > have you thought about looking at Hungarian names, due to your
        interest in
        > pysanky? There are sites to research Hungarian names.
        > http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/ This is the website for St.
        Gabriels
        > and there is a place for hungarian as well as many other cultures.

        Yeah, I want an English persona for now, just because that's the
        history I'm most familiar with (aside from US). I probably will have
        a Ukrainian or Russian one eventually though.

        > It sounds like you will fit right in. I'm sure you know that the
        Pennsic
        > War is held in your Barony (mundanely in Slippery Rock). It is the
        > "Debatable Land" over which a war is fought every summer between the
        > Kingdoms of the East and the Middle. It is a great deal of fun.
        I'm not
        > sure of your age, but you do need to be 18 to attend without your
        parents.

        Yes, I know it is fought near here. I should be going this summer,
        but does it have to be parents or can my parents sign a permission
        form? My mom's cousin (she's my mom's age) said she'd take me with
        her, but my mom doesn't like medieval stuff (she thinks I'm nuts) and
        my mom would *never* let my dad go with her cousin(divorce=feud),
        though maybe I could pretend he wasn't hanging out with her
        (scheming).

        > There are many folks who have Japanese personas in the SCA, so
        maybe your
        > friend will enjoy looking into that as well.

        I'msitting in school and I read that to my friend and she said she
        might not be able to join because her parents may not let her.
        She'll be 18 before I will.

        > Have fun, and hope to meet you some day,
        > Alison Wodehalle
        > Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East Kingdom
        >

        > Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 03:38:27 -0000
        > From: "Mackenzie" <prettypysanky@y...>
        > Subject: good eve, m'lords, m'ladies
        >
        > ^ lmao hehehe...can't believe i said that online (not saying i
        > wouldn't say it in person...)
        >
        > I'm not actually in the SCA yet because my parents aren't into it so
        > they wouldn't take me, but I've been researching since I found out
        > about it in Nov. 2002 (yes, lots of research--enough that I did a
        > research paper on 12th century english garb from memory). I've
        > chosen my given name(Cassandra), but I'm still trying to come up
        > with a surname (probably something with eggs, sewing, or scribal
        > arts--I doubt they could be combined). The eggs is because I
        > practice the ancient art of pysanky that was definitely around in
        > medieval times, and the scribal arts because I've been doing
        > calligraphy for 5 years. And sewing because I like sewing. A lot.
        >
        > When I join, I've got my two best friends from school are going to
        > join with me because we all like medieval stuff (I think I like it
        > most of the 3 of us, one girl is more into Japan and vampires and
        > the other is into being a hardcore fan of punk rock...note to self:
        > tell her "kickass!" wasn't the expression of choice in medieval
        > times).
        >
        > I live in the Kingdom of Æthelmearc, specifically the Barony Marche
        > of the Debatable Lands and I forget who our new king is *oops.*
      • Mericke MacDonald
        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2004
          Maybe you should gently tactfully remind your parents that many young
          people your age are into drugs drinking gangs and casual sex. There
          are much more dangerous and unhealthy hobbies than sewing making
          beads singing and rooting for guys with sticks.

          Best of luck!

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Mackenzie" <prettypysanky@y...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > > arts--I doubt they could be combined). The eggs is because I
          > > practice the ancient art of pysanky that was definitely around in
          > > medieval times, and the scribal arts because I've been doing
          > > calligraphy for 5 years. And sewing because I like sewing. A
          lot.

          > > When I join, I've got my two best friends from school are going to
          > > join with me because we all like medieval stuff (I think I like it
          > > most of the 3 of us, one girl is more into Japan and vampires and
          > > the other is into being a hardcore fan of punk rock...note to
          self:
          > > tell her "kickass!" wasn't the expression of choice in medieval
          > > times).
          > >
          > > I live in the Kingdom of Æthelmearc, specifically the Barony
          Marche
          > > of the Debatable Lands and I forget who our new king is *oops.*
        • celtk9equine
          Message 4 of 4 , May 8, 2004
            Okay, I'm a parent, and sometimes parents worry about their kids (no
            matter how old or young) getting into things that could harm them
            i.e. cults, gangs, etc. Your parents may not want you to join the
            SCA or participate in SCA events because they don't understand it or
            know anything about it. The way to solve that problem is ask them
            to attend your local group's meeting with you so you call all ask
            questions and see what it is about. If they are into PC use, have
            them check out the SCA website www.sca.org and any local web pages.
            In our Barony, we have different "sub groups" one of which is
            a "College" composed mainly of high school students (and some college
            students who were members in HS). There are adult supervisors
            (marshalls & seneschals) who are parents, teachers and/or members of
            the SCA. However, if you heart is just set on Pennsic, you'll have
            to wait :)