Re: [SCA Newcomers] Northshield and Pennsic (was: THANK YOU Iustinos...)

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2004
      On Saturday 01 May 2004 16:35, Mericke MacDonald wrote:

      > So from the signature I see you are in Ohio-I am Trimaris. You are
      > in NorthShield then, right?

      'Fraid not. Northshield is waaay out west of here. I'm in the Middle
      Kingdom, and almost at its easternmost edge.

      Northshield is currently a Principality of the Middle Kingdom, but later
      this year (October, if I recall correctly), they will become their own
      Kingdom. Northshield includes North Dakota, South Dakota, Manitoba,
      Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the upper peninsula of Michigan (that may not
      be an exhaustive list). From my house to the nearest corner of Northshield
      is about a ten hour drive. The the furthest edge of Northshield would take
      a couple of days. Now you know why we're splitting the Middle Kingdom into
      two parts. [GRIN]

      > I WILL BE AT PENNSIC and I WILL look you up there. Although it is
      > huge, I feel confident I can find you eventually. I AM SO EXCITED
      > ABOUT PENNSIC!

      My household is Erevnite Asteron (Greek for "Star Followers" or "Star
      Seekers"). We generally camp in N22. If all else fails, inquire at
      Chirurgeon's Point, because most people there know me.

      > Our next big event is Coronation in 3 weeks. Then after that nothing
      > til Pennsic. The wait will seem like a decade. So I'll have to keep
      > busy by working on my first Art Sci project for October.

      Nothing in Trimaris until Pennsic?! Really? Wow.

      Do you happen to know Maddelaine de Cat down there? If not, I can intro
      you by email. She's a Chirurgeon and a friend of mine, might be able
      to help you find your way around.

      > As for "the incident" now practically famous across Trimaris these
      > last three weeks, it was unforunate, but not SCAdian politics. Just
      > a well-known, universally disliked (in Trimaris) blow hard who is
      > racist and has a problem with my choice of husband 20 years ago (he
      > was Jamaican). I can honestly say that everyone I have met on the
      > local level and Kingdom and Inter-Kingdom has been WONDERFUL.

      The SCA has about 50,000 participants. If 1% of them are jerks, that means
      there are 500 jerks. Sad, but true. Just avoid the jerks and play with the
      other 98% or 99% who are decent folk. :-)

      Racism is one of the few things that is extremely unwelcome in the SCA.
      I've been in this organization for about 14 years, and I've never met
      anyone who behaved in a racist way in my presence.

      > So again, thank you for opening a door for me, into a whole new world
      > of lovely people and creativity. And new skills. I am increasing my
      > costuming knowledge and have taken up archery and knife throwing, and
      > may work up to rapier by year's end as well. I'm having the time of
      > my life-and I happen to have had a lot of great times in my life.

      There is a *ton* of archery and thrown weapons activity at Pennsic. Be
      sure to bring your gear.

      Again, welcome, and may you have lots of fun!

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Mericke MacDonald
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2004
        Yes I certainly know Madelleine Isabeau De Cat-she is my seneschal-I
        am now in Brineside Moor.

        I met some Ohio folk at Gulf Wars and I swore they said they were
        NorthShield-sorry about the misconception.

        There really is very little in the way of June thru August eventing
        in Florida because it is hot as heck and rains EVERY day - rust on
        armor puts a hamper on the desire of fighters to suit up.

        I'll find you at N22-just printed the post for my "Pennsic Notebook".

        I can hit a target about evey other time and toward the center 1 out
        of 4 times so I will, by August, hopefully be skilled enough to not
        TOTALLY embarass myself on the live weapons range.

        Looking forward to meeting you vis a vis....

        Mericke MacDonald

        <justin@4...> wrote:
> [...]
        met
        > anyone who behaved in a racist way in my presence.
        >

        > > So again, thank you for opening a door for me, into a whole new
        world
        > > of lovely people and creativity. And new skills. I am
        increasing my
        > > costuming knowledge and have taken up archery and knife throwing,
        and
        > > may work up to rapier by year's end as well. I'm having the time
        of
        > > my life-and I happen to have had a lot of great times in my life.
        >
        > There is a *ton* of archery and thrown weapons activity at Pennsic.
        Be
        > sure to bring your gear.
        >
        > Again, welcome, and may you have lots of fun!
        >
        > Justin
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]
        xxxx()

        http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        > justin@4... PGP Public Key at
        http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2004
          On Tuesday 04 May 2004 18:17, Mericke MacDonald wrote:
          > Yes I certainly know Madelleine Isabeau De Cat-she is my seneschal-I
          > am now in Brineside Moor.

          Excellent! When I was War Chirurgeon at Pennsic 32 (last summer), Cat was
          my Tech Services deputy. She did all the wiring, plumbing, installing,
          furniture moving, etc., for Chirurgeon's Point. This is a bigger job than
          you might think. Here are some photos of the facility (empty):

          http://pw32.4th.com/pole-bldg.php

          http://pw32.4th.com/photo.php?dir=photos&prefix=chirurgeon-bldg

          During Pennsic, we have canvas walls installed around the building, and the
          inside space is subdivided using hospital privacy screens and canvas tent
          walls.

          Give my regards to Cat, if you think of it! :-)

          > I met some Ohio folk at Gulf Wars and I swore they said they were
          > NorthShield-sorry about the misconception.

          Ahhhh....I'll bet they were North Oaken. The Midrealm is large enough that it
          is divided into multiple regions (and one Principality, i.e., Northshield).
          North Oaken is Ohio; South Oaken is Kentucky; Midlands is Illinois; Pentamere
          is Michigan; Constellation is Indiana (these are approximate boundaries).

          We currently have about 140 local groups and baronies in this kingdom. I
          maintain the database of Seneschals, which is an easier job than you would
          think, because I use Linux and therefore have automated about 95% of the
          workload.

          Come to think of it, if you met Serjant Garth der Eisenzahmer (who is a
          member of my shire) at Gulf Wars, then you met someone from both North
          Oaken *and* Northshield. Garth's originally from South Dakota but now
          lives here in Canton Ohio, in the Marche of Alderford.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2004
            On Tuesday 04 May 2004 18:17, Mericke MacDonald wrote:
            > I'll find you at N22-just printed the post for my "Pennsic Notebook".

            That's about 90% likely to be where we camp, but there are no guarantees
            until the Pennsic Landocrat actually allocates the space for us. The best
            thing to do is to check the camping block directory when you arrive on
            site, looking for us by the name "Erevnite Asteron".

            I look forward to meeting you, and anyone else from this list who cares
            to drop by. I'm taking a break from being on staff this year, so there's
            a good chance I'll actually get to spend some time relaxing in camp! :-)

            keys fesswise reversed sable.