good eve, m'lords, m'ladies

  • Mackenzie
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2004
      ^ lmao hehehe...can't believe i said that online (not saying i
      wouldn't say it in person...)

      I'm not actually in the SCA yet because my parents aren't into it so
      they wouldn't take me, but I've been researching since I found out
      about it in Nov. 2002 (yes, lots of research--enough that I did a
      research paper on 12th century english garb from memory). I've
      chosen my given name(Cassandra), but I'm still trying to come up
      with a surname (probably something with eggs, sewing, or scribal
      arts--I doubt they could be combined). The eggs is because I
      practice the ancient art of pysanky that was definitely around in
      medieval times, and the scribal arts because I've been doing
      calligraphy for 5 years. And sewing because I like sewing. A lot.

      When I join, I've got my two best friends from school are going to
      join with me because we all like medieval stuff (I think I like it
      most of the 3 of us, one girl is more into Japan and vampires and
      the other is into being a hardcore fan of punk rock...note to self:
      tell her "kickass!" wasn't the expression of choice in medieval
      times).

      I live in the Kingdom of Æthelmearc, specifically the Barony Marche
      of the Debatable Lands and I forget who our new king is *oops.*
    • mekilno
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2004
        Welcome, m'lady! Tis pleasant to see such a devoted newcomer to the
        lists!

        > I've been researching since I found out
        > about it in Nov. 2002

        Wow - a lot of research!!

        > but I'm still trying to come up
        > with a surname (probably something with eggs, sewing, or scribal
        > arts--I doubt they could be combined).

        Hmm... well, from my own research (I know Anglo Saxon) you could have
        something like these:

        æg, æg, ægg (all pronounced 'egg') hwite (prononced with a
        breathless 'h' - meaning 'egg white', or just 'white'.)

        writere, mearcere (both of which mean 'writer' - the first is
        pronounced 'RIT-er-eh', the second 'MEHR-ker-eh')

        stafas, and gewrit mean 'write' [STAF-as] [YE-rit]

        > and the scribal arts because I've been doing
        > calligraphy for 5 years. And sewing because I like sewing. A
        lot.

        A woman after my own heart!

        > the other is into being a hardcore fan of punk rock...note to self:
        > tell her "kickass!" wasn't the expression of choice in medieval
        > times).

        Hehe!!

        > I live in the Kingdom of Æthelmearc, specifically the Barony Marche
        > of the Debatable Lands and I forget who our new king is *oops.*

        Don't worry about it - it took me ages to learn our king and queen's
        names - now I've got them ebgraved, they're standing down in about
        four weeks!! lol

        Everild ap Derfel the Clumsy,
        glad to be of service.
      • Britt
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2004
          Well met,
          I, also, am English (god save the queen and take away the puritans) but am now
          tossing around a little German (please no midget jokes) Ok, two sights that are
          absolutely amazing for names are

          http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/english.shtml

          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/brasses

          Both come from very good sources and will tell you what they are (stay away from any
          sight that just has a list and will not tell you where those names can be documented),
          but poke aroud these two sights. Just for a laugh, in the panix sight, there is a list of
          forgotten binames that are quite funny. (all can be documented) The good news for
          you (I always worry about this one. The English are known for being very non creative
          with their naming) is that Cassandra can be documented for your time and place.
          Hope those two sights help. Also if somehow thase links are not working. Both of
          those pages you can access through the SCA homepage under New members-
          choosing a name and personna.

          Mary of the Stuwes