Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hi!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2004
      In a message dated 4/28/2004 3:37:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<Also, can I have nore that one persona? More than two? My name is Alfhildr
      Haflidasdottir and that persona is viking, because I was told it is easy for
      people. >>

      Never base a persona on what someone else tells you will be easy. Base it on
      what you're interested in. What's the point of having a persona whose life
      doesn't interest you? It sounds like Viking isn't where your interests lie.
      Don't tie yourself down to a newbie name and persona - change it if you want
      to. And don't let anyone tell you that it's impossible to change personas after
      you've been in the SCA for a while - I've done it, and so have a lot of other
      people. Also don't let anyone tell you that you have to keep the persona you
      start with - there is no such rule.

      <<But I've been learning to speak Japanese for a while and
      would like a Japanese persona, and I would love to do archery as a
      1300's or 1200's English woman.>>

      Do you want a true Japanese persona, or do you want a place to indulge your
      interest in the Japanese language? Similarly, do you want a whole persona as a
      1300's or 1200's Englishwoman or are you just choosing that because it seems
      like a time period when women might shoot archery?
      Most people in the SCA do things that their personas would not have done. In
      some cases, they do things from radically different cultures than their
      personas (one of the more visible SCA authorities on Japanese culture has a Norse
      persona); in other cases, they do things to help with events that their
      personas would never have done (my persona is the wife of a wealthy tailor; I'd never
      do my own cooking for guests, or do any cleaning. I'd know how to, but my
      servants would do the actual work. In the SCA I've cooked feast and scrubbed
      bathrooms). Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you need a separate
      persona to do each of your interests. That way lies confusion and madness - for
      your friends, if nothing else, if they have to remember to call you by a new
      name every time you change activities! If you need a reason to justify why your
      persona is doing something odd, then the answer is quite simple - you learned
      it from your friend, who is from a different country and therefore does things
      differently. You both live in the Known World now, and it's perfectly OK to
      pick up some odd practice from another culture.

      <<Any websites on garb out there? >>

      What sort of garb? Two good basic sites are Cynthia Virtue's site at
      http://www.virtue.to, and Kass McGann's site at http://www.reconstructinghistory.com.

      <<I better stop this post now, cause I might be in over my head already.
      I know how to sew, shoot long bow, cook, and I lllllluuuuuvv fabric,
      and am learning bellydance. heehee! I was a scadian way before I
      joined the sca, I just didn't know it.>>

      Yes, it sounds like you were! Don't be concerned about the explosion of
      interests; it's a common newcomer's syndrome. Most likely, as you spend more time
      in the SCA, it will tend to narrow itself down a bit. Or maybe not :-)

      Lancaster, PA