Hi!

  • Darcie Dill
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 27, 2004
      I'm new (duh)and I want to go to Gulf Wars in 2005. What is landgrab
      and how early do I register, and who can I go with, and is there a
      website full of stories and advice, and....well, I have a ton more
      questions. But I'm just trying to prepare for something this big way
      in advance, but I don't want to over do it. Also, can I have nore
      that one persona? More than two? My name is Alfhildr Haflidasdottir
      and that persona is viking, because I was told it is easy for new
      people. But I've been learning to speak Japanese for a while and
      would like a Japanese persona, and I would love to do archery as a
      1300's or 1200's English woman. Any websites on garb out there? I
      better stop this post now, cause I might be in over my head already.
      I know how to sew, shoot long bow, cook, and I lllllluuuuuvv fabric,
      and am learning bellydance. heehee! I was a scadian way before I
      joined the sca, I just didn't know it.
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 28, 2004
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Darcie Dill" <alfhildr7@y...>
        wrote:
        > I'm new (duh)and I want to go to Gulf Wars in 2005. What is
        landgrab
        > and how early do I register, and who can I go with, and is there a
        > website full of stories and advice, and....well, I have a ton more
        > questions. But I'm just trying to prepare for something this big
        way
        > in advance, but I don't want to over do it.

        There is not a "land grab" as such at Gulf War. First, pre-register,
        this gaurantees you land. (Pre-registration will start sometime
        around October.) Second, look around and find some folks you want to
        camp with and register to camp with their group. (There is a blank
        on the registration form for this.) It is much easier with a group.

        Also, can I have nore
        > that one persona? More than two? My name is Alfhildr Haflidasdottir
        > and that persona is viking, because I was told it is easy for new
        > people. But I've been learning to speak Japanese for a while and
        > would like a Japanese persona, and I would love to do archery as a
        > 1300's or 1200's English woman.

        You can have as many personas as you want. It may get confusing....

        >Any websites on garb out there?

        There are a lot of garb website out there. Hit the "links" button in
        the menu bar on the left side of the Groups homepage.

        > better stop this post now, cause I might be in over my head
        already.
        > I know how to sew, shoot long bow, cook, and I lllllluuuuuvv
        fabric,
        > and am learning bellydance. heehee! I was a scadian way before I
        > joined the sca, I just didn't know it.

        William
      • medicman1111
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
          Hi everyone, I'm new and am trying to get information to join. I had
          heard about SCA several years ago from a co-worker who is a member and
          I moved and have not been able to find a correct contact for the
          information. I am from Orlando and need info for this joining that
          kingdom. If anybody could put me in contact with the correct person or
          have them contact me i would be very grateful.
          Thank you all!
        • Bulgarelli Maria
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
            Hi.

            I went to www.sca.org and looked up the kingdom that
            you would be in. It's called Trimaris. If you go to
            the following page you can put in your zip code and
            see which group you belong to.

            http://www.trimaris.org/index.php?q=localcontacts-map

            Check it out.
            Lady Maria
            --- medicman1111 <medicman1111@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone, I'm new and am trying to get
            > information to join. I had
            > heard about SCA several years ago from a co-worker
            > who is a member and
            > I moved and have not been able to find a correct
            > contact for the
            > information. I am from Orlando and need info for
            > this joining that
            > kingdom. If anybody could put me in contact with the
            > correct person or
            > have them contact me i would be very grateful.
            > Thank you all!

          • Leah Clark
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
              Hi medicman,
              I went to the kingdom of Trimiaris and you would be in the Barony of Darkwater. Here is the Baronies wed site www.baronyofdarkwater.com and you can contact the seneschal@...(his email.
              I hope that helps a little if you would like I will give him your email address
              Lady Magdalen verch Madoch
              Chatelaine for the Shire of Schattentor
              Kingdom of Northshield

              Bulgarelli Maria <scarlettmb@...> wrote:
              Hi.

              I went to www.sca.org and looked up the kingdom that
              you would be in. It's called Trimaris. If you go to
              the following page you can put in your zip code and
              see which group you belong to.

              http://www.trimaris.org/index.php?q=localcontacts-map

              Check it out.
              Lady Maria
              --- medicman1111 <medicman1111@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone, I'm new and am trying to get
              > information to join. I had
              > heard about SCA several years ago from a co-worker
              > who is a member and
              > I moved and have not been able to find a correct
              > contact for the
              > information. I am from Orlando and need info for
              > this joining that
              > kingdom. If anybody could put me in contact with the
              > correct person or
              > have them contact me i would be very grateful.
              > Thank you all!

            • eltleon
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                What Lady Maria said.

                Plan B: If for whatever reason you can't contact the local group,
                send an e-mail to Kingdom's Hospitalier, Countess Dulcia MacPherson
                (hospitaller@...). She is wonderful and you'll be in contact
                with the right people in no time.

                Good luck!

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Bulgarelli Maria
                <scarlettmb@...> wrote:

                > Hi.
                >
                > I went to www.sca.org and looked up the kingdom that
                > you would be in. It's called Trimaris. If you go to
                > the following page you can put in your zip code and
                > see which group you belong to.
                >
                > http://www.trimaris.org/index.php?q=localcontacts-map
                >
                > Check it out.
                > Lady Maria
                > --- medicman1111 <medicman1111@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi everyone, I'm new and am trying to get
                > > information to join. I had
                > > heard about SCA several years ago from a co-worker
                > > who is a member and
                > > I moved and have not been able to find a correct
                > > contact for the
                > > information. I am from Orlando and need info for
                > > this joining that
                > > kingdom. If anybody could put me in contact with the
                > > correct person or
                > > have them contact me i would be very grateful.
                > > Thank you all!

              • David Whitehead
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                  Welcome to our great society, even if you have to join (ugh) trimaris. <
                  ;-) > But seriously forks, welcome and may you find happiness in what ever
                  path you choose to follow. Be it cloth, leather, metal, or the many many
                  other disciplines that there are to pursue in this wonderful collection of
                  misfits that we call home.

                  Lord Wolfgang von der Eiffel
                  Barony of Bjornsborg
                  Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra

                  p.s. kill....err see you at gulf wars.

                • jay davis
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                    hi there. the orlando group is the barony of darkwater. it meet
                    thursday nights at the fashion square mall on east colonial (us
                    highway 50)in the community room. the room is near the sears store.
                    meeting start about 7 pm. come on in and look around. if you ask for
                    me (jon davis), i will be glad to introduce you around. i am the
                    deputy hospitaler for the barony. please come and join us. john of
                    sntioche

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "medicman1111" <medicman1111@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi everyone, I'm new and am trying to get information to join. I had
                    > heard about SCA several years ago from a co-worker who is a member and
                    > I moved and have not been able to find a correct contact for the
                    > information. I am from Orlando and need info for this joining that
                    > kingdom. If anybody could put me in contact with the correct person or
                    > have them contact me i would be very grateful.
                    > Thank you all!

                  • jay davis
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                      sure and you know he is just jealuos. he must live in (ugh) ansteorra.
                      he is not able to be part of the great kingdom of trimaris. john of
                      antioche

                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "David Whitehead"
                      <talrath2002@...> wrote:

                      > Welcome to our great society, even if you have to join (ugh) trimaris. <
                      > ;-) > But seriously forks, welcome and may you find happiness in
                      what ever
                      > path you choose to follow. Be it cloth, leather, metal, or the many many
                      > other disciplines that there are to pursue in this wonderful
                      collection of
                      > misfits that we call home.
                      >
                      > Lord Wolfgang von der Eiffel
                      > Barony of Bjornsborg
                      > Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
                      >
                      > p.s. kill....err see you at gulf wars.

                    • Elizabeth Bair
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                        Hi Medicman! I sent you an email with some information about Trimaris,
                        contacts for groups in your local area and some resources you might be
                        interested in checking out, including our kingdom social mailing list.

                        Welcome to Trimaris!

                        Dulcia

                        On 10/31/07, medicman1111 <medicman1111@...> wrote:

                        > Hi everyone, I'm new and am trying to get information to join. I had
                        > heard about SCA several years ago from a co-worker who is a member and
                        > I moved and have not been able to find a correct contact for the
                        > information. I am from Orlando and need info for this joining that
                        > kingdom. If anybody could put me in contact with the correct person or
                        > have them contact me i would be very grateful.
                        > Thank you all!

                      • Elizabeth Bair
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
                          Hi! I wanted to drop you a note to let you know that I will have to answer
                          your questions early next week. I'm on my way out of town to work at an
                          event not far from Orlando this weekend.
                          http://www.melessee.org/jerusalem/home.html

                          I didn't want to leave and let you think that I was ignoring your email.
                          I'll write again after I get back. You are more than welcome to drop by the
                          event. I will be working but can answer questions and there should be a
                          local Hospitaller on site as well and someone can probably find you some
                          garb to borrow.

                          Anyway - I'm off!

                          Dulcia

                          On 10/31/07, medicman1111 <medicman1111@...> wrote:

                          > Hi everyone, I'm new and am trying to get information to join. I had
                          > heard about SCA several years ago from a co-worker who is a member and
                          > I moved and have not been able to find a correct contact for the
                          > information. I am from Orlando and need info for this joining that
                          > kingdom. If anybody could put me in contact with the correct person or
                          > have them contact me i would be very grateful.
                          > Thank you all!

                        • nikki.doherty
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 16, 2009
                            Hello everyone!

                            I'm in Port Moody, BC, planning on being in the Barony of Lion's Gate. I met my husband playing Neverwinter Nights online and thought it would be fun to do something similar in real life. In two weeks will be our very first bransle and I'll be there along with my somewhat reluctant husband, my Deaf friend, and possibly my two English friends.

                            We raided a thrift store today to get some fabric to sew up some garb and grabbed a few plates.

                            Is there anything else we should know, do, plan for? And is anyone else from Tir Righ on here? :)

                            Nikki (who hasnt picked a name yet)
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 17, 2009
                              In a message dated 3/17/2009 6:17:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              nikki.doherty@... writes:

                              <<Is there anything else we should know, do, plan for? And is anyone else
                              from Tir Righ on here? :)>>

                              If there is a court or something similar going on, contact the autocrat
                              (person in charge of the event) and ask if a silent herald (a herald who signs)
                              will be present to interpret for your Deaf friend. Actually, it would be nice to
                              have one around anyway to teach your friend some of the SCA-specific signs
                              that we use.

                              Welcome!

                              Lancaster, PA
                              steps!
                              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219850974x1201371016/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
                              %3D62%26bcd%3DMarchfooterNO62)

                            • Emily
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 18, 2009
                                I'm in Washington state but I'm close! Welcome!
                                If you come south to some Seattle/Everet events I hope to meet you.

                                I'm thinking about your question, "is there anything else we should know?"

                                A couple of things come to mind.

                                Call everyone m'lord and m'lady until your introduced, then you'll know if they have a title you should be useing. Lord and Lady are for folks with the AoA award. The titles get bigger as the awards and deeds get bigger.
                                Along with the plates you might want to grab some mugs or heavy old wine glasses and silverware and bowls. At alot of events it's expected for folks to bring their own feasting gear. But someone almost always has some to spare too. :)

                                Most importantly just have a good time. SCAers are THE nicest and most friendly folks in the world. Find a smiling face and introduce yourself. You'll get taken right in and be family in no time!

                                Emily G

                                I don't know if you have these links so I'll put them here at the bottom.
                                Your local groups
                                http://www.antir.sca.org/Map/branches.php?reg=Tir%20Righ
                                Guide for newcomers on the main site.
                                http://www.sca.org/officers/chatelain/newcomers.html
                              • Trish Mickelsen
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 18, 2009
                                  Hi Emily,  I'm Patricia from the Shire of Wyewood.
                                   Hugs & Kisses,
                                  Trish

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 18, 2009
                                    Welcome Nikki!

                                    I am also in Tir Righ. I'm in Kelowna (Shire of Danescombe). I went to my first event in February. That was pretty much how I started to. I actually rented garb from my local costume shop and hit the thrift store for feast gear. Enjoy!

                                    YIS
                                    Meave of Driscoll