A review of Holyclothing on Ebay

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2004
      On one of the newcomer's lists I'm on, someone had asked about the
      suitability of clothing from the Ebay store Holyclothingcom. I couldn't remember which
      list it was, so I figured I would post to both.

      Unfortunately, while much of their work is beautiful, it is generally not
      usable for SCA garb. One of the give-aways is anything that is listed as
      gothic/victorian/renaissance or gothic/medieval/renaissance or anything like that -
      those are three entirely different styles and anything that could be described
      that way would not really bear any resemblance to renaissance clothing.
      The only thing I saw in the 6 pages I looked at that might be useable is the
      "Romeo and Juliet Renaissance" - although it is not a renaissance style! It
      actually bears more resemblance to an earlier period lady's gown - say 12th or
      13th century. This would be the garment worn over a chemise, and possibly
      under a sideless surcoat or one of the 13th century surcoats that have fairly
      large armholes, but aren't sideless. I'm sure the construction and fabric are
      not accurate, but the overall silhouette isn't too bad.

      For a look at some other styles that would be appropriate, try
      historicenterprises.com or revivalclothing.com. These both do mostly 14th and 15th century
      stuff, but that's pretty much what's out there ready-made that is highly
      authentic. Looking at those styles may help you to see what you might look for
      with other merchants.

      Try the juried merchants list at http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/merchants/?
      There is a list of 15 clothing and fabric merchants there, mostly with links to
      their websites, which tend to have better than average garb for SCA use.

      Lancaster, PA