Re: [SCA Newcomers] Returnees

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 24, 2004
      In a message dated 4/23/2004 10:04:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<Hey I really really respect people who try to do living history
      authentically. I really respect them. I think that by learning deep in
      the ways of the past, they help us preserve our history and
      heritage. Hoo bah! BUT, SCA is also supposed to be fun -- that
      thing we do to relax and unwind from the stress of the workaday
      world.>>

      Ah, but you see, those of us who are into doing things authentically are
      doing it for exactly that reason - because it is fun for us. Digging around
      finding all the little hidden bits of info is like a treasure hunt. Managing to
      find a way to make things so they look like the pictures (and for 12th century
      English we haven't got much more than pictures to go on) is a triumph! The
      first time someone looked at an outfit I was wearing and said, "Oh, that's 13th
      century, right?" was the biggest thrill, because it meant I had gotten it
      right! (That particular style crosses late 12th-early 13th century).

      << And there are some points of historical debate that may
      never be solved 100%. no matter how good forensics gets. So
      some variance of opinion should be tolerated in a chivalrous
      organization.>>

      Quite true. Take the construction of the dress called the bliaut, for
      instance. There are no extant bliaut. All we have to go with are some pictures and
      a bunch of statues, and some literary evidence - and they show stylistic
      differences. So it appears that a) unless someone finds an extant bliaut
      (several of them, really) we're going to have to interpret; and b) the available
      sources support several different interpretations because they are different
      themselves. That's the situation for quite a lot of things, frankly, so some
      variance definitley needs to be tolerated - espcially since we're not an
      organization with tight specific rules regarding your kit. There are some groups out
      there that have very specific lists of what each member must have, the fabric
      it's made of, allowable colors, placement and construction of trim, and so on.

      << IMHO I don't really think it was authenticity that was
      the real problem -- I think the old problems were, dare i say it?
      Ego. Some people just can't bear to be wrong, or even doubted,
      ever. Some people just love to make other people do it their way,
      just because.>>

      Quite right. And, some people can't tolerate change in the thing they love,
      so they resist it without even thinking about it. And that mindset can come
      with or without a desire for authenticity. I know someone who's like that
      about the mundane aspects of the SCA - how events should be run and so forth - and
      also about authenticity, but on the side of anti-authenticity. To this
      person's mind, any desire for things authentic is a change, and is automatically
      undesirable, and this person has actually told me that I MUST conform to certain
      SCA traditions and doesn't accept the "they aren't authentic for my persona"
      as even an attempt at a reason not to, much less a valid one.

      Lancaster, PA