A+S activities...

  • mekilno
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20, 2004
      OK, I want to take up calligraphy - has anyone got any tips for a
      beginner scribe?
    • Judith Taylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 23, 2004
        mekilno wrote:
        > OK, I want to take up calligraphy - has anyone got any tips for a
        > beginner scribe?

        First of all, in what area/Kingdom are you located?

        You might want to check with your local group for a scribe or scribal
        group.

        You can also check out the SCA Scribes list (scribes@...) by

        Fionnseach
        Dernehealde, Middle Kingdom
      • Kathy Greer
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 23, 2004
          Greetings,

          I take it that you are interested in making the pretty letters and possible some scrolls.

          Looking at the finished product, it does not matter what pen system you use. I mean, you do not need to go buy the pen handle and a bunch of tips and a jar of ink to dip them into. This is very slow and messy. Not good for beginners. Recommend going to an office supply store or a hobby / craft store that has graphic art supplies and get the boxed pen set that has one handle and three tips. This pen uses ink cartages that fits in the handle. Much neater and simpler. An instruction sheet is included. The ink comes in color also. When you get home, use regular paper with a sheet under it with five guide lines. Start with the basics, vertical lines and circles. Letters are made up of a combination of these. Do not try to write. Calligraphy letters are formed by holding the pen's tip at one constant angle and always pulling it toward you. Do not push, it will dig into the paper. Very important - Think of it as *painting* the letters, not simply writing.

          Start with this boxed pen set. It is cheap and complete. If you like calligraphy and get good with this set of letters, then look around at your library for books on calligraphy. There are many styles.

          Hope this helps. If you still have questions, please email me directly.

          YIS,

          Kathy

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2004
            > Greetings,
            >
            > I take it that you are interested in making the pretty letters and
            possible some scrolls.

            Yip! lol Being able to write scrolls etc. is what I'm aiming for.

            > Looking at the finished product, it does not matter what pen system
            you use.

            Ah! That'd be a lot easier.

            > Start with this boxed pen set. It is cheap and complete. If you
            like calligraphy and get good with this set of letters, then look
            around at your library for books on calligraphy. There are many
            styles.

            Well, after a lot of hunting, I mangaged to get one! Not quite a
            boxed set, but two types of nibs, thick and thin (ish). It's a
            sheaffer (getting those cartriges is a bummer though..) and it comes
            with an instruction sheet - Gothic Chancery and Unical styles are
            included. I've also got an alphabet off the internet - Celtic. I
            have to say, I do like the Celtic style, and the unical style the
            best.(gothic's a bit complicated, and I'm not too keen on Chancery.)

            > Hope this helps. If you still have questions, please email me
            directly.

            Thank you, my lady, that has indeed helped me. I've also learned
            that my shire is to be having a scribe-based CamP meeting this month,
            at Her Majesty's request, so I'll definately be heading down there.

            Everild,
            Loving her new activity...
          • Susan Farmer
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26, 2004

              > Well, after a lot of hunting, I mangaged to get one! Not quite a
              > boxed set, but two types of nibs, thick and thin (ish). It's a
              > sheaffer (getting those cartriges is a bummer though..)

              I can say that it's *much* cheaper to fill your own cartridges.

              and it comes
              > with an instruction sheet - Gothic Chancery and Unical styles are
              > included. I've also got an alphabet off the internet - Celtic. I
              > have to say, I do like the Celtic style, and the unical style the
              > best.(gothic's a bit complicated, and I'm not too keen on Chancery.)

              One thing that I found -- I practiced and practiced and it never would
              look "right" my letters weren't parallel and all that stuff. So I
              just wrote with the pen. Everything. School notes, checks, etc.
              Everything. Then when I tried calligraphy again, it all fell into
              place.

              Jerusha
            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
                On Monday 26 April 2004 18:57, Susan Farmer wrote:
                > Gothic Chancery and Unical

                I think it's "Uncial". Easily confused with "Unocal", which is an oil and
                gas company. :-)

                keys fesswise reversed sable.

              • mekilno
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3 12:11 PM
                  > One thing that I found -- I practiced and practiced and it never
                  would
                  > look "right" my letters weren't parallel and all that stuff. So I
                  > just wrote with the pen. Everything. School notes, checks, etc.
                  > Everything. Then when I tried calligraphy again, it all fell into
                  > place.
                  >
                  > Jerusha

                  Thanks Jerusha! I'm not having too much of a problem with that - I
                  used lined paper under the paper I'm working on, and that helps.
                  Hopefully, with practice, I can get rid of that eventually, but if I
                  can't it doesn't really matter that much. I've just written a poem
                  out for my mum for her anniversay - I used gothic as it's one that I
                  think looks pretty cool, even though it's quite complicated. It took
                  me a while, and then I illuminated it, and I'm really proud of it!

                  Everild,
                  Preening herself..
                • mekilno
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3 3:05 PM

                    > Sounds gorgeous! Illumination is one of those things that I've
                    never
                    > had the nerve (or the time) to undertake!
                    >
                    > Jerusha

                    Thanks!! It's not nerve, so much, with me - it's time!! I'm not
                    doing really complicated stuff, illumination-wise - just a simple
                    border suffices, really - but I plan it all out, beforehand, so it
                    does take a while to do!
                  • Susan Farmer
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3 3:12 PM