RE: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Boffer.

  • Lisa Briner
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2004
      There's always dancing...although that can get dangerous, too. Just stay
      away from ladies in hoop skirts!

      Ysabel (waving at Rutger)

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15, 2004
        On Thursday 15 April 2004 09:34, Lisa Briner wrote:
        > There's always dancing...although that can get dangerous, too. Just stay
        > away from ladies in hoop skirts!

        <HUMOR_MODE>
        The joke within the Chirurgeonate has been that maybe we need to have the
        Kingdom appoint "warranted Dance Marshals". It's amazing that such a "gentle"
        activity can produce sprained ankles and wrists, but sometimes it does. :-)
        </HUMOR_MODE>

        [This is not to discourage anyone from dancing...it's fun and extremely
        safe. We Chirurgeons, especially those of us who work a lot of the graveyard
        shifts at Pennsic or Estrella War, have a very, very warped sense of humor.]

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • David Ternes
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2004
          Lisa Briner wrote:

          > There's always dancing...although that can get dangerous, too. Just stay
          > away from ladies in hoop skirts!
          >
          > Ysabel (waving at Rutger)
          >
          > From: "jynxfauxphyre" <jynx_rubbergoth@...>
          > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Boffer.
          >
          > Ah well, there are other things in the SCA to do I guess. I'm not
          > much of a Fencer, and have little interest in learning such. Thank
          > you though you all have been very helpful.

          Hello Ysabel ...
          Speaking of dancing - I noticed you weren't at the last practice.

          --

          Rutger
        • Rhys
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2004
            I beg to differ with only one point. Boffers don't leave nasty bruises or
            cuts if they are being used right and have been inspected. The only
            lasting and visible scar I ever received in fighting was not with heavy,
            light, or even shi-nai but with a boffer! The Marshal's had okayed a
            boffer with a thrusting tip that had NO tip protection besides a layer
            of duct tape over the end of the cut pvc. It was found when the lord
            handling it caught me in the face with a blind sided thrust and left a 2
            inch cut through my eyebrow.

            So, normally we don't get hurt. But things can happen. And in the
            Northern Outpost we used to have grand melee with boffers where
            everyone would be involved. :)

            It's a fun break from sitting on the sidelines.

            In Service,
            Lord Rhys Aiden Bifjord