RE: Pennsic Questions

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
      Subject: RE: Pennsic Questions

      >>Good Day Gentle Folks! Pennsic is almost upon us (June 1 pre-reg
      >>deadline) Any advice for those of us going for the FIRST time?

      Last year was my family's first time at Pennsic, however we've been
      listening to Pennsic stories for 25 years, and we camp anyway. My advice is
      pack half of what you think you need except for garb, of which you'll need
      all types. Garb that's OK to get muddy, garb to wear for more formal
      occassions, garb for HOT weather, garb for cold, damp nights, garb for rain,
      etc. Don't pack food, the grocery down the road carries everything any
      normal local grocery would, at reasonable prices, and you won't end up with
      too much.

      My husband I decided that we are not even bringing our stove this time.
      With teenagers, everyone doing what they enjoy, and so very much to do,
      we're not going to cook. We'll have lunch meat and snacks. We'll buy fresh
      fruit at the fruit stand, and we'll give the teens a daily budget for what
      they can spend on food at the food court. We're lucky that we can afford to
      do this.

      We are not going to bring much in the way of crafts to work on or books to
      read, there just wasn't time.

      A mirror was an odd item for a camping trip, that proved useful. And a
      comfortable mattress was very important.

      I would say that it's also good to camp with a group, if possible.

      >> Taboo things?

      Not much is taboo, mundane clothing is, I suppose.

      >You may want to inquire depending on the type of pet. I saw hound coursing
      >there last year.

      I'm afraid the hounds were only allowed the day of the coursing demo.
      Service animals are allowed, though.

      Also, check out www.pennsic.net

      Great suggestion, LOTS of good advice there.

      In service, Alison
    • ladynorelle
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2004
        I asked a similar question before my first pennsic. I got all kinds
        of replys about food, clothing, and camping equipment. But the one
        piece of advice that I got that I've been passing on to first time
        pennsic people is to pack baby wipes. They are a quick, easy,
        disposable way to clean up quickly. They are great for washing hands,
        freshening up, and as a hold over until you can get to the showers.
        In the past I've gotten the unscented version to avoid smelling like
        a baby's butt, but as I was looking in the baby aisle last night
        (yes, pre-shopping for pennsic) I found a lavendar scented version
        that intrigued me.

        Along the same lines, I picked up a package of pre-soaped dish wipes
        that palmolive put out. I hope they are still out there. ( I picked
        them up months ago and threw them in my Pennsic bin) Once you get
        them wet, they are the equivilent to a baby wipe for you dishes. Plus
        then you don't have to pack dish soap and worry about it leaking...

        norelle/donna

        Any advice for those of us going for the FIRST time?
        > Packing items not to be forgotten, things (and vendors) not to be
        > missed? >
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2004
          On Monday 05 April 2004 08:31, ladynorelle wrote:
          > Plus then you don't have to pack dish soap and worry about it leaking...

          On the other hand, dish soap (especially Dawn, IMO) is a very valuable
          commodity if you are doing either of two things:

          1. Cooking over an open fire. Before putting a pan or pot on the fire, coat
          the bottom and sides *heavily* with dishwashing soap, making a thick,
          gooey layer. When you're done, the black tar from the fire will almost
          literally just wipe off. (DON'T do this with cast iron, but it works
          great with aluminum or steel cookware)

          2. Working with tiki torches. That citronella fuel is sticky and oily,
          and you are almost guaranteed to get some on your hands when filling
          torches. Dawn dishwashing liquid takes it right off, and is pretty innocuous
          to the environment.

          Not to disagree with your points, Lady Norelle, just adding some alternative
          things. :-)

          keys fesswise reversed sable.