RE: [SCA Newcomers] Pennsic Questions

  • Doug Gintaras
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4 7:05 AM
      >Good Day Gentle Folks! Pennsic is almost upon us (June 1 pre-reg
      >deadline) Any advice for those of us going for the FIRST time?
      >Packing items not to be forgotten, things (and vendors) not to be
      >missed? Taboo things? (I understand there are NO pets allowed.)

      You may want to inquire depending on the type of pet. I saw hound coursing
      there last year.

      Also, check out www.pennsic.net

      ~Gintaras, C.R.C.~
      Midrealm
      Midlands
      Ravenslake

    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4 1:14 PM
        No pets, not even seeing-eye ferrets (it's been tried) Here are some
        excellent sites on Pennsic and what to take along. There are 100s more on
        any search engine.

        http://ic.net/~blues/articles.htm
        http://www.pennsic.net/packlist.html
        http://www.dragonbear.com/packlist.html
        http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/packinglist.htm
        http://www.diefledermaus.org/articles-packing.htm
        http://home1.gte.net/kmvogt/pennsic1.html

        Some tips of my own.

        Bring a lot of light weight natural fiber clothes, cottons, linens, wool,
        DON'T bring polyester anything. Comfort is more important then looks. I
        keep a lot of older tunics that I would never ever where anywhere except
        Pennsic. They are ugly, from my early sewing, and probably not even close
        to historicly acurate. But, I wear them at Pennsic. Also Pennsic mud
        doesn't EVER come off completely. But, bring some nice stuff too. Pennsic
        courts are very cool.

        Take all the garb you own. You will probably go through all of it at some
        point. If you are there for 10 days bring clothes for 14 days, you will
        probably change during the day a couple times during the week. Laundry
        facilites are available at pennsic....14,000 people, 3 washers, 3
        dryers...you do the math. You can go into town and use the laundry mat, but
        in my mind that just blows the good part of a day when you can be fighting,
        shoping or taking classes. And you have to go get your vehilcle, and repark
        when you get back. I try not to leave Pennsic during the week. Too much
        trouble.

        It will get hot, very hot. It will get cold, very cold, it will rain, very
        hard. You WILL want a heavy cloak at night. layers are good, you can add
        to, or take away as needed. When asked what kind of weather you encounter
        at Pennsic, the answer is "Yes, every type". Every type of weather that
        exists on this earth can and will happen at some point at Pennsic.
        Including typhoons!

        Wear good shoes, you will walk more then you are used to. Dr Schol's
        inserts are your friend (the gel ones are you best buddy). Bring several
        different shoes incase you get blisters you have something that wears
        differentely. Going barefoot can be done but not recommended. The Pennsic
        dirt will take about 3-6 months to wear off your skin.

        Drink water every chance you get, dehydration can and will sneak up on you
        and is the most common 'injury' at Pennsic. Do not be afraid to go to the
        Chuirgeon's tent for any reason, that's what they are there for. Whether
        you need the chiurgeons or not, BE SURE YOU GO DONATE TO THEM, even if it a
        couple of bucks, a jar of powdered gatorade, anything, them folks are
        working hard to keep us all safe, whether you fight or not. They will
        appreciate it.

        Shopping at Pennsic is a must. Anything and everything a SCAdian could want
        is there. Walk all the merchants at least twice before buying. The same
        item for sale at one merchant for $12 can be found at another for $6,
        sometimes. Make notes of where to really find what you want and which
        merchant has it. The Pennsic handbook you receive at troll has a site map
        of all the merchant mark the ones you like. Don't be afraid to barter or
        haggle with the merchants, most will do this, especially with items that
        they really want to get rid or towards the end of war week. They really
        don't want to take home anymore than they have to. If it something you
        really want, buy it before Midnight Madness of Wednesday or it may not be
        there after. If there is a lot of your item around wait until Midnight
        Madness these item usually go on sale.

        Take a class, even if you don't normally. Classes are a great place to meet
        friendly laurels, apprentices, and students who really want to share the
        knowledge they have. Take classes that you normally wouldn't. If you are
        into embroidery or woodworking like my wife and I, try taking dance or
        illumination. Every subject of the middles ages is available at some
        point. You would be surprised the things that you can learn at Pennsic by
        sitting in a class. You don't even have to participate in the class, just
        listen. You may come across an idea that you never thought of, go home
        research it and low and behold find a different subject that you have more
        interest in. Alot of illumination came from stained glass windows and vise
        versa. It can be interesting.

        Most important thing at Pennsic is having fun. Try to make new friends even
        if it is just in your own encampment. Volunteer to help in your encampment
        and out. This is also a good way to meet people. Just have fun. When you
        get there stop by the Barony of Andelcrag (Andelcamp) and look us up.
        --
        In service to the dream,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        (Take time to dance in the rain)

        Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 2:43 PM
          In a message dated 4/4/2004 2:24:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

          >Good Day Gentle Folks! Pennsic is almost upon us (June 1 pre-reg
          >deadline) Any advice for those of us going for the FIRST time?
          >Packing items not to be forgotten, things (and vendors) not to be
          >missed? Taboo things? (I understand there are NO pets allowed.)

          <<You may want to inquire depending on the type of pet. I saw hound coursing
          there last year.>>

          The hound coursing was allowed by special arrangements with the Coopers, the
          owners of the site, and the dogs were only allowed on site for the duration of
          the hound coursing activity. The ONLY animals allowed on site throughout
          Pennsic, besides those belonging to the Coopers, are service animals such as
          guide dogs - and you need to have the paperwork proving that they are service
          animals.

          <<Also, check out www.pennsic.net>>

          However, be aware that pennsic.net is NOT an official source for information
          about things related to Pennsic, although there is a good amount of useful
          information there. The population that uses pennsic.net is also highly skewed
          towards the people who go to Pennsic to party hearty rather than to try to have
          a medieval experience, so bear that in mind as well. It will give you a
          somewhat unbalanced view of Pennsic and its activities.

          For official information regarding Pennsic, the website is
          http://www.pennsicwar.org/
          I strongly suggest regular visits, and for first timers, a good perusal of
          the sections related to general site rules and such. Later on there will be
          schedules for battles and activities, as well as a nearly complete class schedule
          available (although it is well-said that one should never entirely believe
          the schedule in the Pennsic book or website, as things are likely to change at
          unexpected times).

          As far as advice, these are my favorite bits:
          1. Drink plenty of water. It is very easy to get dehydrated, especially if
          you like to drink alcohol as well. Drink water or other hydrating/replenishing
          fluids during the day, and save the alcohol for the evening.
          2. Get someone to show you around Pennsic in the daylight when you first
          arrive. Many of us oldtimers could find our way around blindfolded, but the
          layout can be extremely confusing at night, especially down near and below the
          lake, if you haven't been there before. There are still sections down there that
          I don't know terribly well after 14 years.
          3. Be prepared for lots of walking. The Pennsic site is roughly a mile and a
          half long and three-quarters of a mile wide, much of it hilly. Most of the
          roads are dirt (with rocks), although some of the main ones are paved.
          Contrary to popular myth, it is entirely possible to wear nothing but period shoes
          for the whole of Pennsic and be comfortable (I've been doing it for 5 years
          now), especially if you stick in a new pair of double-thick foam insoles right
          before war :-) My husband and I start training walks around our very hilly
          neighborhood early in the summer, something I highly recommend if your only walking
          is normally to your car and back or around the mall.
          4. Be prepared for any weather variation from 110 degrees and 95% humidity
          to frost. No, I'm not kidding; it may be August, but the weather in that area
          of PA can be very odd. There has been more than one time that I've woken to
          find frost on the grass before the sun comes up, and several years ago we had a
          week of heat indexes over 110 during the day. There is nearly always one
          very violent storm during Pennsic as well, so know how to storm rig your tent and
          either pack your stuff in waterproof containers or in boxes on legs, so if
          your tent floods, your stuff won't get soaked. Also a good reason to make sure
          you have a bed off the ground. Bring plenty of things that you can layer, so
          you can stay warm at night and then take layers off as it warms up during the
          day.
          5. Volunteer for something. There are a number of places to help out at
          Pennsic, even for newcomers; everything from Security (which is basically a town
          watch program), to providing mobility assistance for attendees with
          disabilities, to helping to set up the battlefield for the next day's scenarios.
          Everything that happens at Pennsic happens because people volunteer to make it happen
          - the only paid staff there are hired by the Coopers to do things like clean
          the bathrooms, work in the camp store, etc, and some of the staff who work in
          the food booths and merchant booths.

          Lancaster, PA