Pennsic Questions

  • celtk9equine
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
      Good Day Gentle Folks! Pennsic is almost upon us (June 1 pre-reg
      deadline) Any advice for those of us going for the FIRST time?
      Packing items not to be forgotten, things (and vendors) not to be
      missed? Taboo things? (I understand there are NO pets allowed.)

      Thank you!

      ~ Ysolt de la Mere
      Caer Mear, Atlantia
    • Alison Choyce
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
        Subject: RE: Pennsic Questions

        >>Good Day Gentle Folks! Pennsic is almost upon us (June 1 pre-reg
        >>deadline) Any advice for those of us going for the FIRST time?

        Last year was my family's first time at Pennsic, however we've been
        listening to Pennsic stories for 25 years, and we camp anyway. My advice is
        pack half of what you think you need except for garb, of which you'll need
        all types. Garb that's OK to get muddy, garb to wear for more formal
        occassions, garb for HOT weather, garb for cold, damp nights, garb for rain,
        etc. Don't pack food, the grocery down the road carries everything any
        normal local grocery would, at reasonable prices, and you won't end up with
        too much.

        My husband I decided that we are not even bringing our stove this time.
        With teenagers, everyone doing what they enjoy, and so very much to do,
        we're not going to cook. We'll have lunch meat and snacks. We'll buy fresh
        fruit at the fruit stand, and we'll give the teens a daily budget for what
        they can spend on food at the food court. We're lucky that we can afford to
        do this.

        We are not going to bring much in the way of crafts to work on or books to
        read, there just wasn't time.

        A mirror was an odd item for a camping trip, that proved useful. And a
        comfortable mattress was very important.

        I would say that it's also good to camp with a group, if possible.

        >> Taboo things?

        Not much is taboo, mundane clothing is, I suppose.

        >You may want to inquire depending on the type of pet. I saw hound coursing
        >there last year.

        I'm afraid the hounds were only allowed the day of the coursing demo.
        Service animals are allowed, though.

        Also, check out www.pennsic.net

        Great suggestion, LOTS of good advice there.

        In service, Alison
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
          On Sunday 04 April 2004 09:50, celtk9equine wrote:
          > Good Day Gentle Folks!   Pennsic is almost upon us (June 1 pre-reg
          > deadline) Any advice for those of us going for the FIRST time?
          > Packing items not to be forgotten, things (and vendors) not to be
          > missed?  Taboo things? (I understand there are NO pets allowed.)

          Easy answer first: Assistive animals are allowed on site, but not pets.

          Two suggested sources of further info:

          1. Lots of great info on the Pennsic web site:
          http://www.pennsicwar.org/

          2. Article written by my lady and myself:
          http://4th.com/sca/justin/articles/pennsic-adventure.php

          With what group are you planning to camp? Be sure when you pre-register
          that you have the group name spelled *exactly* the same as when your
          campmaster/campmistress registered the group itself. The example often
          cited is that "Big Stick Brotherhood" is *not* the same as "Brotherhood
          of the Big Stick." The one that gets a lot of people in trouble, causing
          them to be mis-registered, is something like "Flaming Greatsword" being
          registered by the campmaster/campmistress but members putting "House
          Flaming Greatsword" on their registrations. The match-ups are done by
          a computerized database, and it's not smart enough to connect things
          that are only "similar." (To be fair, with over 300 groups registering, if
          they *did* try to match "similar" names, there would be a lot of false
          positives.) Be sure to check with the land agent for the group with which
          you plan to camp before you register, to make sure you're welcome there.
          If it's your shire camp, you're automatically entitled, but households
          are free to pick and choose who is and is not allowed to camp with them.

          One other piece of advice near and dear to my heart, since I am a long-time
          Chirurgeon: If you have chronic medical problems, stop by Chirurgeon's Point
          and fill out a Confidential Medical Form (the so-called "OMIGOD!" form).
          This is a document, kept under strict lock and key until needed, that has
          your Pennsic badge number, emergency contact information, and medical
          history on it. If you arrive at Chirurgeon's Point unconscious, but are
          wearing your Pennsic medallion, the Crew Chief will pull the CMF for you
          and will give it to EMS to take with you to the hospital. This can save
          your life if you're not able to tell the paramedics and ER doctors about
          critical medical issues you have. It takes only a few minutes and is
          totally confidential except for very strict need-to-know disclosure to
          people actually treating you in an emergency. (Sorry to be a "nudge" about
          this, but as last year's War Chirurgeon, I can tell you firsthand that
          these forms are really, REALLY valuable to Chirurgeons and EMS during
          serious medical emergencies. Pennsic is a big place, and it may take
          half an hour or more to locate your onsite emergency contact; in the
          meantime, minutes count and the CMF can save your bacon.)

          Feel free to post specific questions to the list as you see fit; those
          of us here who've been to a few Pennsics (this will be my 14th year, but
          I'm a newbie compared to some others!) will be glad to answer as best
          we can.

          Also, please feel free to drop by my household camp, Erevnite Asteron,
          and introduce yourself as being from the "newcomers list". We'll offer
          you some shade, a chair, and some friendly conversation any time. :-)

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • ladynorelle
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2004
            I asked a similar question before my first pennsic. I got all kinds
            of replys about food, clothing, and camping equipment. But the one
            piece of advice that I got that I've been passing on to first time
            pennsic people is to pack baby wipes. They are a quick, easy,
            disposable way to clean up quickly. They are great for washing hands,
            freshening up, and as a hold over until you can get to the showers.
            In the past I've gotten the unscented version to avoid smelling like
            a baby's butt, but as I was looking in the baby aisle last night
            (yes, pre-shopping for pennsic) I found a lavendar scented version
            that intrigued me.

            Along the same lines, I picked up a package of pre-soaped dish wipes
            that palmolive put out. I hope they are still out there. ( I picked
            them up months ago and threw them in my Pennsic bin) Once you get
            them wet, they are the equivilent to a baby wipe for you dishes. Plus
            then you don't have to pack dish soap and worry about it leaking...

            norelle/donna

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 7, 2004
              On Monday 05 April 2004 08:31, ladynorelle wrote:
              > Plus then you don't have to pack dish soap and worry about it leaking...

              On the other hand, dish soap (especially Dawn, IMO) is a very valuable
              commodity if you are doing either of two things:

              1. Cooking over an open fire. Before putting a pan or pot on the fire, coat
              the bottom and sides *heavily* with dishwashing soap, making a thick,
              gooey layer. When you're done, the black tar from the fire will almost
              literally just wipe off. (DON'T do this with cast iron, but it works
              great with aluminum or steel cookware)

              2. Working with tiki torches. That citronella fuel is sticky and oily,
              and you are almost guaranteed to get some on your hands when filling
              torches. Dawn dishwashing liquid takes it right off, and is pretty innocuous
              to the environment.

              Not to disagree with your points, Lady Norelle, just adding some alternative
              things. :-)

              keys fesswise reversed sable.