Re: [SCA Newcomers] And the boy don't even know his last name....

  • mekilno
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 5:35 AM

      > However, anyone know of a good translation for "coffee addict"
      or "of little sleep"?

      > Alric/jmt
      > Chronicler/Co-Webminister, Shire of An Dun Theine

      Well, being (having taught myself Old English) I'd say you could use:

      Lythwonslæp, Lythwonsweofot, Lytslæp, Lytsweofot, Lytelslæp,
      Lytelsweofot.

      (pronounced: [LEETH-one-slep] [LEETH-one-sweh-of-ot] [LEET-slep]
      [LEET-sweh-of-ot] [LEET-el-slep] [LEET-el-sweh-of-ot] The capital
      letters are where you should place the stress on the word.)

      Sorry, I couldn't find anything for coffee!! lol
    • amazonalys
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 6:31 AM
        Have you looked at this?

        <http://www.sca.org.au/ynys_fawr/as_articles/as_bynames.html>

        Perhaps you could be "Alric Lyttlesleep", or something of that sort?

        Just a thought.

        Lilion

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike@r...> wrote:
        > What am I known for thus far? Depends on who you ask
        >
        > Seriously, I'm known for taking over most of the shire's websites.
        And my many e-mail missives. So you could call that scribing in the
        loosest definition possible definition of the term (the device being
        prepped has quills in the charge).

        > "of Snowy Fields" is actually a good one, I actually live in
        Athens, AL- so I'll sniff around for a translation...

        > However, anyone know of a good translation for "coffee addict"
        or "of little sleep"?

        > Alric/jmt
        > Chronicler/Co-Webminister, Shire of An Dun Theine
        >
        > (a)Rw the new element
        > www.randomwerks.com<http://www.randomwerks.com/>
        > www.radiowerks.tk<http://www.radiowerks.tk/> -freeform mayhem 24/7,
        LIVE on Shoutcast and Peercast networks

        www.anduntheine.org/battered_blade<http://www.anduntheine.org/battered
        _blade>

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 4:51 PM
          In a message dated 4/2/2004 4:06:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

          <<However, anyone know of a good translation for "coffee addict" or "of
          little sleep"? >>

          "Coffee addict" won't work - coffee wasn't known anywhere in Europe at that
          period, so I rather doubt the Anglo-Saxons had a word for it...
          I wonder if the Viking Ivar the Boneless was so-called because he lounged
          around in a very relaxed state a lot or was extraordinarily flexible. I'm sure
          he really wasn't truly "boneless".
          Sorry, I know this isn't much help, but my brain is wandering.

          Lancaster, PA

        • mike
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2 6:30 PM
            I was kidding about the coffee addict thing.
            Or at least the looking for the translation part of it. :)

            Alirc/jmt