Re: [SCA Newcomers] Designing arms....

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2004
      In a message dated 3/28/2004 11:51:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<Can anyone give me some pointers as to where I should go if I want to
      desing my own heraldic device? I know some of the basic rules, but
      I'm not sure on most of them... are there any websites etc that give
      you those rules? >>

      Really, your best option is to sit down with a herald and have a chat with
      them, let them show you how period heraldry works, and give you pointers on how
      to combine the things you want. Your local group will probably have a herald;
      if not, a number of events have heraldry consulting tables where you can sit
      down with a herald to do just this.
      Many people nowadays have an inaccurate idea of how heraldry was created and
      used in the Middle Ages, and it's easy to come up with something that, while
      you may like it, is either not registerable or is totally at variance with how
      arms were used/drawn in the Middle Ages. Working with a herald from the start
      will help to eliminate that.
      Once you do come up with something, follow Tomas' First Rule of Heraldy -
      draw it, color it, and hang it on your fridge or over your desk at work for a
      month. Then, if you still like it, submit it for registration. This avoids the
      problem I had with my first device; by the time it passed, I hated it, and I
      never used it.

      Lancaster, PA