Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: blazon

  • David Ternes
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 10, 2004
      greenfaere1 wrote:

      > The actual rule in the rules of submissions is : VIII 1a. ..."Three
      > or more types of charges may not be in one group."
      >
      > This is unfortunately why the very pretty device with the dog's head
      > will be returned. The bend, the dog's head, and the shamrock are
      > placed directly on the field, making them each a primary charge.
      > They are then three different primary charges (and being a primary
      > places them into the same charge group). The mullets are a secondary
      > charge group. I would have to look to see how the fimbriation is
      > counted, I'm not sure off the top of my head whether that's a
      > secondary or tertiary charge.
      >
      > All ordinaries are charges. Anything that you place on the field is
      > a charge. There just different types, ordinaries, beasts, etc.

      I am going to have to disagree with this. I don't want to get into an
      argument, but, the "pretty device with the dog's head" should not be
      returned as slot-machine heraldry (i.e., conflict with the last sentence
      of RfS VIII.1.a). There could be other problems, but not that one.

      Per the Glossary of Terms for the RfS, a primary charge is; "The most
      important group of charges in a piece of armory...If there is a central
      ordinary lying entirely on the field, it is the primary charge...In
      Gules, a pale between two mullets argent, the pale is the primary
      charge." Thus the bend sinister is the (only) primary charge. Note
      that just being on the field does not make a charge part of the primary
      charge group.

      The dog's head and the shamrock form a secondary charge group. Again,
      per the GoT, a secondary charge is; "A group of charges on the field
      around the primary charge group...In Gules, a pale between two mullets
      argent, the mullets are the secondary charge group."

      Since the bend sinister, dog's head, and shamrock are part of separate
      charge groups, they do not cause a conflict with VIII.1.a (slot-machine
      heraldry).

      Finally, the three mullets, being completely on the bend sinister, are a
      tertiary charge group. Per the GoT; "Any group of charges placed
      entirely on other charges...Per chevron argent and sable, two roses and
      a fleur-de-lys counterchanged and on a chief purpure three hearts argent
      has one group of tertiary charges on the chief."

      --

      Rütger