Kingom or Laurel submitions?

  • tears_of_pasht
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23, 2004
      If i am sumbitting new heraldry(device, badge, name), do i need to
      check boith kingdom and laurel? also can i sumbit a badge at the same
      time as my device?

      Namaste

      Arianwen
    • Dufgall vinaldasson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 23, 2004
        submitting Badge and device together In my opinion
        would be a bad idea... I would think that most people
        would like their badge and device to somewhat match.
        and if your badge passes, and your device doesnt, then
        you would have to re-think your device and still try
        and get it to match your badge...

        I would suggest device then badge...

        Dufgall
        --- tears_of_pasht <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > If i am sumbitting new heraldry(device, badge,
        > name), do i need to
        > check boith kingdom and laurel? also can i sumbit a
        > badge at the same
        > time as my device?
        >
        > Namaste
        >
        > Arianwen

        =====
        Forever in Service,
        Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson
        Principality of Gleann Abhann
        House Shadow Legion
        {sable, on a bend sinister argent three wolves courant sable}
        Clan of the Virtues
        {vert, on a bend sinister argent four ewes vert}

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • oisswafford
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 23, 2004

          > I would suggest device then badge...

          I thought a badge and device were the same thing. One is just before
          you receive your AoA. Is that wrong?

          Sarah
          still trying to figure everything out
          Shire of Mountain Edge
          Kingdom of An Tir
        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 28, 2004
            No a badge and a device are 2 different things. A device is basicly
            your Coat of Arms (hence the Award of Arms). The SCA allows you to
            register 4 pieces of heraldy, only one of which may be a device.

            William

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "oisswafford" <oisswafford@y...>
            wrote:

            > > I would suggest device then badge...
            > >
            > I thought a badge and device were the same thing. One is just
            before
            > you receive your AoA. Is that wrong?
            >
            > Sarah
            > still trying to figure everything out
            > Shire of Mountain Edge
            > Kingdom of An Tir
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 28, 2004
              On Tuesday 23 March 2004 16:05, oisswafford wrote:
              > I thought a badge and device were the same thing.  One is just before
              > you receive your AoA.  Is that wrong?

              Your "device" is your [usually shield-shaped] heraldry, the design that
              you would put on a banner, or a tabard, or a shield. A "badge" is usually
              a simpler design and would be used to mark your personal belongings, or
              for similar purposes. Either can be incorporated into various A&S
              projects such as woodcarvings on chairs, etc.

              Your badge doesn't have to resemble your device in any way. My device's
              blazon (verbal description) appears below, in my sigline. My badge is
              nothing like it: "Fieldless, a cog wheel azure". Basically, that means
              a blue gear on a background of any color I want.

              Rules on whether you can display your device before you get your AoA vary
              from kingdom to kingdom. Here in the Middle Kingdom, you are "technically"
              supposed to wait, but I've never once heard of anyone being taken to task,
              or even asked, about displaying a device before they are armigerous. Since
              it takes quite a while to get your device passed at the College of Arms,
              most people will have their AoA before that happens anyway. Regardless of
              kingdom rules on *display* of heraldry, you can *register* your heraldry
              any time you like.

              And then there are those, like me, who procrastinate for more than a decade
              before sending in their device at all. The AoA thing wasn't an issue...by
              the time I had sent it off, I had an AoA and a Grant of Arms. By the time
              it *passed* the College of Heralds, I had been put on vigil for peerage. My
              heraldry passed just a few weeks before my elevation -- a very close call,
              because I wanted to have my banner carried into Court that day! Whew---
              just made it!

              All those ten years I didn't send my heraldry in, because I was afraid it
              would fail. Then it passed on the first try. In other words, don't be dumb
              like me....send it in! [BIG GRIN]

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • ladynorelle
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 29, 2004
                Pardon me for being a bit behind in posts, but I get the digest
                version and was busy eventing this weekend. I'm just now catching up
                on email... so onto my question. Exactly what are the four peices of
                heraldry? From this thread of conversation, I'm assuming device and
                badge, but what are the other two? i suppose I could go look it up on
                some heraldy webpage, but that would take more effort, and I still
                haven't unpacked the car all the way.

                Norelle/donna

                The SCA allows you to
                > register 4 pieces of heraldy, only one of which may be a device.
                >
                > William

              • chemistbb3
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
                  The four pieces can be 4 badges or 3 badges and a device. This is a
                  max. You do not have to have 4. You just can not have more than 1
                  device registered.

                  William

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "ladynorelle"
                  <ladynorelle@y...> wrote:
                  > Pardon me for being a bit behind in posts, but I get the digest
                  > version and was busy eventing this weekend. I'm just now catching
                  up
                  > on email... so onto my question. Exactly what are the four peices
                  of
                  > heraldry? From this thread of conversation, I'm assuming device
                  and
                  > badge, but what are the other two? i suppose I could go look it up
                  on
                  > some heraldy webpage, but that would take more effort, and I still
                  > haven't unpacked the car all the way.
                  >
                  > Norelle/donna
                  >
                  > The SCA allows you to
                  > > register 4 pieces of heraldy, only one of which may be a device.
                  > >
                  > > William

                • Tirloch O'Riordain
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
                    I also am curious about these 4 pieces.

                    To the best of my knowledge you may register a name, a device, and a badge.

                    There was once a time when Fiona McGregor of the Middle registered a
                    device for a household (The Great Dark Horde) but I do not believe that
                    is a regular practice.

                    Could you elaborate on these 4 pieces? I am very curious.

                    Tirloch

                    > The SCA allows you to
                    > > register 4 pieces of heraldy, only one of which may be a device.
                    > >
                    > > William

                  • David Ternes
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
                      Tirloch O'Riordain wrote:

                      > I also am curious about these 4 pieces.
                      >
                      > To the best of my knowledge you may register a name, a device, and a badge.
                      >
                      > There was once a time when Fiona McGregor of the Middle registered a
                      > device for a household (The Great Dark Horde) but I do not believe that
                      > is a regular practice.
                      >
                      > Could you elaborate on these 4 pieces? I am very curious.

                      According to the College of Arms Administrative Handbook (2002)
                      Part I - Submissions Regulations
                      I. Registration Limit
                      B. Individuals and other local groups - Individuals ... may register no more
                      than four names and four pieces of armory.

                      The "pieces of armory" may be either devices or badges. Normally at least one
                      of these will be a personal device, but this is not required.

                      For the names, an individual may have one Primary Society Name - "The single
                      name under which records of registration are maintained." The rest will be
                      Alternate Society Names.

                      --

                      Rutger