blazoning [was: thinking of a device]

  • greenfaere1
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2004
      >I may be wrong here (and please correct me if so), but doesn't a
      >chevron
      >always have an open area underneath it, whereas a pile is filled in
      >solidly?

      You are correct because you are using the phrase "a chevron." When
      it is phrased "per chevron" that is a division in the field where one
      side of the division is one color and the the other side is another
      color (usually one side a color and one a metal, there may be
      exceptions to that rule, though).

      A "pile" is an upside down triangle extending from the top with the
      point touching the base, whereas an inverted pile would be with the
      wide part of the triangle to the base, and the point at the top of
      the device.

      "A chevron" is a stripe with an upward point in it's center, running
      horizontally across the field, this is what I believe you are
      thinking of. A pile never appears as a stripe, it is an ordinary
      placed on the field. "A chevron" is also an ordinary.

      See these pages on the SCA herald's pages:
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/ordinaries.html

      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/fielddivisions.html

      I hope this helps.

      In service, Alison Wodehalle
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2004
        On Monday 08 March 2004 22:16, greenfaere1 wrote:
        > I hope this helps.
        >
        > In service,  Alison Wodehalle

        Very much so! Thanks for a most informative post...I've learned some new
        heraldry today. :-)

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2004
          On Monday 08 March 2004 22:16, greenfaere1 wrote:
          > "A chevron" is a stripe with an upward point in it's center, running
          > horizontally across the field,  this is what I believe you are
          > thinking of.  A pile never appears as a stripe, it is an ordinary
          > placed on the field.  "A chevron" is also an ordinary.

          Okay...I see now. I had correct what "a chevron" meant, but didn't realize
          there was "per chevron" available. My big goof, though, was that I had
          "pile" confused with "pile inverted"...I thought the former had the point
          at the top and the latter at the bottom. Oops! [grin]

          Thanks again for setting me straight.

          keys fesswise reversed sable.