Corsetry short cut

  • Britt
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
      I have been doing Tudor and now have started with a Landsknecht group and have
      always had a problem making a corset from just measurements (If you can do this I
      applaud you. I, on the other hand, am not as talented) My tip for you is a simple
      short cut. First, do the research of the look of the bodice. It will probably need to be
      an above the nipple corset (I have seen Germans go lower but NEVER UNDER THE
      BREAST. Big pet peave) Now once you know what you want the corset to do (cinch,
      lift or whatever..Elizabethan you are probably looking for a very flat front) All you
      need is an old tee shirt, scizzors, duct tape, and another person. All you do is put the
      tshirt on and wrap yourself in duct tape. Actually you are going to be wrapping the
      duct tape as you want the corset to fit you. Remember to pull very tight because this
      is what you want the corset to do. Now once you get the duct tape wraped around
      you (Even include straps) just cut it and the t shirt where you want the corset to be
      laced (or hook and eye) You now have a duct tape double and a perfect pattern to
      make a corset that is perfectly fitted for you. Now remember you may have to line
      bodices if you are working with a flimsier fabric (Go with the stiffest material possible
      and remember that you will be covering it so don't worry if it isn't the prettiest) If you
      make a good bodice some people do not bother with a corset. I have found that a
      good corset is a time saver for making dresses but I think this is a six of one half a
      dozen of another situation. Hopefully this helps.
      Mary of the Stews
      Lastly, I will also