[SCA Newcomers] Re: Of names and Heraldy

  • SCARayne@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
      I find the "whys and reasons" people come up with their SCA
      persona names to be so interesting. Especially since I was
      NOT very creative with my own.

      Since my kids were born into the Society... I gave them their
      first SCA names.. variations of their mundane names: The first
      born Girl is mundanely "Crystal" and her SCA name was "Kristel".
      The Boy is mundanely "Jason" after Greek Hero Jason and used
      the same name in the Society.

      Then, like most kids as they grew older they wanted to pick
      their own names. :-)

      The Boy was named "Siber" by his Viking Household when he was
      about 12 or so... which means roughly "young warrior". It
      still fits although he is now in his mid-20s... but
      when he is 65...? :-)

      Rayne

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Dufgall vinaldasson
      <dufgall@y...> wrote:
      > This isnt realy a bad idea. I considered using it for
      > a while. I even found documentation on it. "Ingram
      > Yates" but then i realized that i dont want a european
      > persona. Ive always been interested in ither the greek
      > or the Norse Mythologies, and more into the Norse
      > Cultures than the Greek. So i ended up with a
      > norse(ish?) name. Now why i have that Specific name is
      > a completely different Story... and even as bad as my
      > mempry is, (it took me about 3days to start getting it
      > right myself) I find that i like it so much that I
      > answere to it, and even prefer to be called by it.
      >
      > Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson, G.A.M.C.
      >
      > --- SCARayne@a... wrote:
      > > I agree...with using your family name if you desire
      > > and it has special meaning to you and your persona.
      That is what I did. <snip>

      > > Rayne Moyra O'Ciaragain
      > > Meridies
    • Dufgall vinaldasson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
        I went a year without a name and decided to get one at
        Gulf Wars XII. up to that point i was signing off my
        emails as "Happy Little Goofball", since i like to
        joke around and generaly have fun. so when i went to
        to herald point to take care of a name, i had a house
        brother do the registration. HE pointed out the name
        dufgall... rymeing with Goofball... I liked it... then
        i picked out another name i like... Vinaldi. So here i
        am, Dufgall Vinaldasson.

        --- SCARayne@... wrote:
        > I find the "whys and reasons" people come up with
        > their SCA
        > persona names to be so interesting. Especially
        > since I was
        > NOT very creative with my own.
        >
        > Since my kids were born into the Society... I gave
        > them their
        > first SCA names.. variations of their mundane names:
        > The first
        > born Girl is mundanely "Crystal" and her SCA name
        > was "Kristel".
        > The Boy is mundanely "Jason" after Greek Hero Jason
        > and used
        > the same name in the Society.
        >
        > Then, like most kids as they grew older they wanted
        > to pick
        > their own names. :-)
        >
        > The Boy was named "Siber" by his Viking Household
        > when he was
        > about 12 or so... which means roughly "young
        > warrior". It
        > still fits although he is now in his mid-20s... but
        > when he is 65...? :-)
        >
        > Rayne
        >

        > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Dufgall
        > vinaldasson
        > <dufgall@y...> wrote:
        > > This isnt realy a bad idea. I considered using it
        > for
        > > a while. I even found documentation on it. "Ingram
        > > Yates" but then i realized that i dont want a
        > european
        > > persona. Ive always been interested in ither the
        > greek
        > > or the Norse Mythologies, and more into the Norse
        > > Cultures than the Greek. So i ended up with a
        > > norse(ish?) name. Now why i have that Specific
        > name is
        > > a completely different Story... and even as bad as
        > my
        > > mempry is, (it took me about 3days to start
        > getting it
        > > right myself) I find that i like it so much that I
        > > answere to it, and even prefer to be called by it.
        > >
        > > Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson, G.A.M.C.
        > >
        > > --- SCARayne@a... wrote:
        > > > I agree...with using your family name if you
        > desire
        > > > and it has special meaning to you and your
        > persona.
        > That is what I did. <snip>
        > > >
        > > > Rayne Moyra O'Ciaragain
        > > > Meridies

        =====
        Forever in Service,
        Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson
        Principality of Gleann Abhann
        House Shadow Legion
        {sable, on a bend sinister argent three wolves courant sable}
        Clan of the Virtues
        {vert, on a bend sinister argent four ewes vert}

        http://search.yahoo.com