Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Of names and Heraldy

  • Dufgall vinaldasson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2 9:45 AM
      This isnt realy a bad idea. I considered using it for
      a while. I even found documentation on it. "Ingram
      Yates" but then i realized that i dont want a european
      persona. Ive always been interested in ither the greek
      or the Norse Mythologies, and more into the Norse
      Cultures than the Greek. So i ended up with a
      norse(ish?) name. Now why i have that Specific name is
      a completely different Story... and even as bad as my
      mempry is, (it took me about 3days to start getting it
      right myself) I find that i like it so much that I
      answere to it, and even prefer to be called by it.

      Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson, G.A.M.C.

      --- SCARayne@... wrote:
      > I agree...with using your family name if you desire
      > and it has
      > special meaning to you and your persona. That is
      > what I did.
      <snip>
      > Many people picked names they could not spell or
      > pronounce...
      > and a couple people seemed to "forget" their SCA
      > name and would
      > forget to answer to it.
      > Since my memory was not the best even then, I
      > decided to have a
      > first name I would not forget...had special meaning
      > to me...that
      > I could spell and pronounce.
      <snip>
      >Now this suggestion might not
      > appeal to many,
      > but it worked for me since I am second generation
      > Irish and desired
      > an Irish persona. Plus it would help when people
      > called me at
      > home or at work and asked for "Raine/Rayne"...either
      > way...they
      > got me. :-)
      >
      > Rayne Moyra O'Ciaragain
      > Meridies
      <Hack and Slash>

      =====
      Forever in Service,
      Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson
      Principality of Gleann Abhann
      House Shadow Legion
      {sable, on a bend sinister argent three wolves courant sable}
      Clan of the Virtues
      {vert, on a bend sinister argent four ewes vert}

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • SCARayne@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2 1:13 PM
        I find the "whys and reasons" people come up with their SCA
        persona names to be so interesting. Especially since I was
        NOT very creative with my own.

        Since my kids were born into the Society... I gave them their
        first SCA names.. variations of their mundane names: The first
        born Girl is mundanely "Crystal" and her SCA name was "Kristel".
        The Boy is mundanely "Jason" after Greek Hero Jason and used
        the same name in the Society.

        Then, like most kids as they grew older they wanted to pick
        their own names. :-)

        The Boy was named "Siber" by his Viking Household when he was
        about 12 or so... which means roughly "young warrior". It
        still fits although he is now in his mid-20s... but
        when he is 65...? :-)

        Rayne

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Dufgall vinaldasson
        <dufgall@y...> wrote:
        > This isnt realy a bad idea. I considered using it for
        > a while. I even found documentation on it. "Ingram
        > Yates" but then i realized that i dont want a european
        > persona. Ive always been interested in ither the greek
        > or the Norse Mythologies, and more into the Norse
        > Cultures than the Greek. So i ended up with a
        > norse(ish?) name. Now why i have that Specific name is
        > a completely different Story... and even as bad as my
        > mempry is, (it took me about 3days to start getting it
        > right myself) I find that i like it so much that I
        > answere to it, and even prefer to be called by it.
        >
        > Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson, G.A.M.C.
        >
        > --- SCARayne@a... wrote:
        > > I agree...with using your family name if you desire
        > > and it has special meaning to you and your persona.
        That is what I did. <snip>

        > > Rayne Moyra O'Ciaragain
        > > Meridies
      • Dufgall vinaldasson
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2 3:42 PM
          I went a year without a name and decided to get one at
          Gulf Wars XII. up to that point i was signing off my
          emails as "Happy Little Goofball", since i like to
          joke around and generaly have fun. so when i went to
          to herald point to take care of a name, i had a house
          brother do the registration. HE pointed out the name
          dufgall... rymeing with Goofball... I liked it... then
          i picked out another name i like... Vinaldi. So here i
          am, Dufgall Vinaldasson.

          --- SCARayne@... wrote:
          > I find the "whys and reasons" people come up with
          > their SCA
          > persona names to be so interesting. Especially
          > since I was
          > NOT very creative with my own.
          >
          > Since my kids were born into the Society... I gave
          > them their
          > first SCA names.. variations of their mundane names:
          > The first
          > born Girl is mundanely "Crystal" and her SCA name
          > was "Kristel".
          > The Boy is mundanely "Jason" after Greek Hero Jason
          > and used
          > the same name in the Society.
          >
          > Then, like most kids as they grew older they wanted
          > to pick
          > their own names. :-)
          >
          > The Boy was named "Siber" by his Viking Household
          > when he was
          > about 12 or so... which means roughly "young
          > warrior". It
          > still fits although he is now in his mid-20s... but
          > when he is 65...? :-)
          >
          > Rayne
          >

          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Dufgall
          > vinaldasson
          > <dufgall@y...> wrote:
          > > This isnt realy a bad idea. I considered using it
          > for
          > > a while. I even found documentation on it. "Ingram
          > > Yates" but then i realized that i dont want a
          > european
          > > persona. Ive always been interested in ither the
          > greek
          > > or the Norse Mythologies, and more into the Norse
          > > Cultures than the Greek. So i ended up with a
          > > norse(ish?) name. Now why i have that Specific
          > name is
          > > a completely different Story... and even as bad as
          > my
          > > mempry is, (it took me about 3days to start
          > getting it
          > > right myself) I find that i like it so much that I
          > > answere to it, and even prefer to be called by it.
          > >
          > > Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson, G.A.M.C.
          > >
          > > --- SCARayne@a... wrote:
          > > > I agree...with using your family name if you
          > desire
          > > > and it has special meaning to you and your
          > persona.
          > That is what I did. <snip>
          > > >
          > > > Rayne Moyra O'Ciaragain
          > > > Meridies