Re: Of names and Heraldy

  • SCARayne@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
      I agree...with using your family name if you desire and it has
      special meaning to you and your persona. That is what I did.
      When I first joined the SCA many people had SCI-Fi-sounding-to-me
      names and I was never a reader of SCI-Fi or fiction.
      Many people picked names they could not spell or pronounce...
      and a couple people seemed to "forget" their SCA name and would
      forget to answer to it.
      Since my memory was not the best even then, I decided to have a
      first name I would not forget...had special meaning to me...that
      I could spell and pronounce. I just use my own mundane first
      name "Raine", just spelt more within my timeframe and timeline
      "Rayne". I picked my Irish g-g-g-g-grandmother's first name for
      my middle "Moyra" and my own last name (which was Anglicized) in
      it's more historical version "O'Ciaragain"... which is pronounced
      the same mundanely. Now this suggestion might not appeal to many,
      but it worked for me since I am second generation Irish and desired
      an Irish persona. Plus it would help when people called me at
      home or at work and asked for "Raine/Rayne"...either way...they
      got me. :-)

      Rayne Moyra O'Ciaragain
      Meridies

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "ashgrove1293" <ashgrove@b...>
      wrote:
      > Hello all:
      >
      > As I interpret Tracie's letter she is only looking at using her
      > family *name* She says nothing about using the heraldy associated
      > with it.
      >
      > While, yes using the heraldry can get a bit sticky and I would not
      > suggest trying to do that.
      >
      > There would be nothing wrong with picking Smalwode as a name.
      After
      > all if I saw the name in the rolls and liked it I could use it as
      my SCA name, no biggie.

      > The fact that it can be traced as a family name is kinda neat. My
      > family fades away and can't be traced easily.
      >
      > Marisa of Ashgrove AOA
      > Junior type herald (still learning)
      > March of Norborough
      > ashgrove@b...

      > Thank you.....Tracie (Thinking of
      > > Margaret Smalwode as my name, the last name is my family name as
      > > written in the court rolls of Henry VII)
    • Dufgall vinaldasson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
        This isnt realy a bad idea. I considered using it for
        a while. I even found documentation on it. "Ingram
        Yates" but then i realized that i dont want a european
        persona. Ive always been interested in ither the greek
        or the Norse Mythologies, and more into the Norse
        Cultures than the Greek. So i ended up with a
        norse(ish?) name. Now why i have that Specific name is
        a completely different Story... and even as bad as my
        mempry is, (it took me about 3days to start getting it
        right myself) I find that i like it so much that I
        answere to it, and even prefer to be called by it.

        Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson, G.A.M.C.

        --- SCARayne@... wrote:
        > I agree...with using your family name if you desire
        > and it has
        > special meaning to you and your persona. That is
        > what I did.
        <snip>
        > Many people picked names they could not spell or
        > pronounce...
        > and a couple people seemed to "forget" their SCA
        > name and would
        > forget to answer to it.
        > Since my memory was not the best even then, I
        > decided to have a
        > first name I would not forget...had special meaning
        > to me...that
        > I could spell and pronounce.
        <snip>
        >Now this suggestion might not
        > appeal to many,
        > but it worked for me since I am second generation
        > Irish and desired
        > an Irish persona. Plus it would help when people
        > called me at
        > home or at work and asked for "Raine/Rayne"...either
        > way...they
        > got me. :-)
        >
        > Rayne Moyra O'Ciaragain
        > Meridies
        <Hack and Slash>

        =====
        Forever in Service,
        Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson
        Principality of Gleann Abhann
        House Shadow Legion
        {sable, on a bend sinister argent three wolves courant sable}
        Clan of the Virtues
        {vert, on a bend sinister argent four ewes vert}

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • SCARayne@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
          I find the "whys and reasons" people come up with their SCA
          persona names to be so interesting. Especially since I was
          NOT very creative with my own.

          Since my kids were born into the Society... I gave them their
          first SCA names.. variations of their mundane names: The first
          born Girl is mundanely "Crystal" and her SCA name was "Kristel".
          The Boy is mundanely "Jason" after Greek Hero Jason and used
          the same name in the Society.

          Then, like most kids as they grew older they wanted to pick
          their own names. :-)

          The Boy was named "Siber" by his Viking Household when he was
          about 12 or so... which means roughly "young warrior". It
          still fits although he is now in his mid-20s... but
          when he is 65...? :-)

          Rayne

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Dufgall vinaldasson
          <dufgall@y...> wrote:
          > This isnt realy a bad idea. I considered using it for
          > a while. I even found documentation on it. "Ingram
          > Yates" but then i realized that i dont want a european
          > persona. Ive always been interested in ither the greek
          > or the Norse Mythologies, and more into the Norse
          > Cultures than the Greek. So i ended up with a
          > norse(ish?) name. Now why i have that Specific name is
          > a completely different Story... and even as bad as my
          > mempry is, (it took me about 3days to start getting it
          > right myself) I find that i like it so much that I
          > answere to it, and even prefer to be called by it.
          >
          > Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson, G.A.M.C.
          >
          > --- SCARayne@a... wrote:
          > > I agree...with using your family name if you desire
          > > and it has special meaning to you and your persona.
          That is what I did. <snip>

          > > Rayne Moyra O'Ciaragain
          > > Meridies
        • Dufgall vinaldasson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
            I went a year without a name and decided to get one at
            Gulf Wars XII. up to that point i was signing off my
            emails as "Happy Little Goofball", since i like to
            joke around and generaly have fun. so when i went to
            to herald point to take care of a name, i had a house
            brother do the registration. HE pointed out the name
            dufgall... rymeing with Goofball... I liked it... then
            i picked out another name i like... Vinaldi. So here i
            am, Dufgall Vinaldasson.

            --- SCARayne@... wrote:
            > I find the "whys and reasons" people come up with
            > their SCA
            > persona names to be so interesting. Especially
            > since I was
            > NOT very creative with my own.
            >
            > Since my kids were born into the Society... I gave
            > them their
            > first SCA names.. variations of their mundane names:
            > The first
            > born Girl is mundanely "Crystal" and her SCA name
            > was "Kristel".
            > The Boy is mundanely "Jason" after Greek Hero Jason
            > and used
            > the same name in the Society.
            >
            > Then, like most kids as they grew older they wanted
            > to pick
            > their own names. :-)
            >
            > The Boy was named "Siber" by his Viking Household
            > when he was
            > about 12 or so... which means roughly "young
            > warrior". It
            > still fits although he is now in his mid-20s... but
            > when he is 65...? :-)
            >
            > Rayne
            >

            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Dufgall
            > vinaldasson
            > <dufgall@y...> wrote:
            > > This isnt realy a bad idea. I considered using it
            > for
            > > a while. I even found documentation on it. "Ingram
            > > Yates" but then i realized that i dont want a
            > european
            > > persona. Ive always been interested in ither the
            > greek
            > > or the Norse Mythologies, and more into the Norse
            > > Cultures than the Greek. So i ended up with a
            > > norse(ish?) name. Now why i have that Specific
            > name is
            > > a completely different Story... and even as bad as
            > my
            > > mempry is, (it took me about 3days to start
            > getting it
            > > right myself) I find that i like it so much that I
            > > answere to it, and even prefer to be called by it.
            > >
            > > Dufgall brestinger Vinaldasson, G.A.M.C.
            > >
            > > --- SCARayne@a... wrote:
            > > > I agree...with using your family name if you
            > desire
            > > > and it has special meaning to you and your
            > persona.
            > That is what I did. <snip>
            > > >
            > > > Rayne Moyra O'Ciaragain
            > > > Meridies