Re: [SCA Newcomers] Non-medieval characters?

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      On Sunday 08 February 2004 00:30, Nicole wrote:
      > It's not
      > necessarily the time period, but more a lack of the availible
      > cultures that you can get into.

      The cultures aren't as limited as you might think....there is some good
      news in answer to your question.

      Basically, you can do any culture that had contact with the cultures of
      western Europe at any time during the SCA time period (approximately
      600 to 1600 CE).

      Thus, there are people doing Aztec, Japanese, Mongolian, Byzantine,
      Slavic, Norse, and many other cultures. The largest number of people do
      western European personae, but that is a statistic and not a rule. :-)

      You could also consider doing an Egyptian persona that falls within the
      SCA time period, rather than ancient Egyptian.

      Does this help? :-)

      fesswise reversed sable.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
        In a message dated 3/1/2004 11:30:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<I can't find a medieval character I can get into. It's not
        necessarily the time period, but more a lack of the availible
        cultures that you can get into.>>

        Lack of available cultures? When everything from European to Native American
        to South American to African to Indian to Russian to Middle Eastern to Romans
        to even Asian is currently being done in the SCA?

        <<So, I was curious...does anyone know if there's any problems with
        reinacting say...an Ancient Egyptian persona? Sure, you're a couple
        thousand years off from everyone, but I figure it's better to stick
        out a bit than to ruin the SCA for myself trying to carry off a
        persona I don't enjoy.
        There's just nothing on the site giving any restrictions on or
        preferred time spans, so I figured I'd prod everyone here. ;)>>

        Well, see there is, you just have to read a little deeper. Obviously, there
        is a specific late cut-off date of pre-17th century - ie 1600 and earlier.
        There is no specific early cut-off date listed, but all of the governing
        documents repeatedly stress "medieval and Renaissance Western Europe" as the basis of
        SCA re-creation, with leeway for cultures which were known to medieval and
        Western Europe.
        While there may be a way to justify early Celtic groups from before the fall
        of Rome, and likewise Roman legionaries from that time period, I think it's
        far too much of a stretch to do Ancient Egyptian. There's no way you can even
        come close to justifying that as medieval or Renaissance or say that the living
        culture of ancient Egypt was known during that time. It's not what the SCA
        is designed about - and while it may at first seem to you that you'll be doing
        something you find fun, you'll shortly find that being the only one doing it
        isn't very fun at all. One of our standard analogies is not trying to play
        baseball during a football game. If everyone around you is playing football, and
        you are playing baseball, the only things that are going to happen is that
        you are going to a) end up playing by yourself, and b) annoying the people who
        are playing football.

        What were the Egyptians up to during the Middle Ages and Renaissance? It
        might interest you to look into that and find any cultural survivals from
        Ancient Egypt. I know nothing at all about Egypt in that time frame.

        Lancaster, PA