Re: [SCA Newcomers] (unknown)

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004

      > Unless you can prove you are legitimately entitled to your ancestors
      > coat of arms, I would suggest you do not use them yourself. That
      > can get sticky and you would probably not be able to register it in
      > the SCA, should you wish to.

      I don't think you can use them even if you are entitled to bear them
      in the mundane world. I thought that they had to be unique to Our
      World and the Mundane World.

      Jerusha
    • Tirloch O'Riordain
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        i_m_2_jaded wrote:
        > I have been a watcher in the wings for a number of years and have
        > finally decided to jump in and start participating in the SCA in my
        > area. I would like to use my ancestor's coat of arms as my own and
        > would like for anyone who has an idea in these things to email me and
        > let me bounce a few ideas off ya. I'm also interested in talking to
        > anyone who can help me get a good idea of where I can go to get
        > patterns for Elizabethan gowns, I'm not really interested in the ones
        > from Simplicity or McCalls, I seem to remember at an event I was at
        > recently someone was selling patterns, I just can't remember the name
        > of the company...were they in a blue envelope? Lastly, I will also
        > need info on how to make chemises and corsets...any helpful hints
        > will be sooooooo appreciated. Thank you.....Tracie (Thinking of
        > Margaret Smalwode as my name, the last name is my family name as
        > written in the court rolls of Henry VII)

        A couple of items to think about in the use of your family coat of arms.

        If you are concerned about it ...
        there are strict rules defining who has the use of a coat of arms. For
        instance of all the McDonnell's in the world, only Laird McDonnell in
        Scotland has the "right" to display the McDonnell coat of arms. Chances
        are highly unlikely that you would be the one person.

        However, that rule applies to displaying the arms in the modern world.
        As for the SCA, a few years back the College of Heralds deemed us a
        theatrical group, and as such they do not care if we use any coat of
        arms or not. This ruling changed SCA policy allowing people to adopt
        their family coat of arms should they wish, though as per SCA heraldry
        only one person may bear any coat of arms so it also depends on whether
        someone else has already registered your families coat of arms.

        What I personally did, since I was not the oldest living male of my
        Clan, was to incorporate one eliminate of my family arms into my
        personal arms. This gave me the connection I desired, and yet my own
        personal arms as well.

        Hope this helps,

        Tirloch
      • bridgetthestargazer
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
          There's Margo's patterns. margospatterns.com I've heard great things
          about her patterns. Elizabethan isn't my time frame, but on the SCA
          garb list they have talked about Margo's patterns a lot.

          As others have said about the heraldry, ask your local herald.

          http://costume.dm.net/ is another elizabethan costuming site. Tons of
          info there. There's even a corset pattern generator that you plug in
          your measurements and it gives you directions for how to create a
          pattern from it.

          Not affiliated with either of these sites or their owners, just
          passing along info.

          Bridget the Stargazer
        • Britt
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
            I have been doing Tudor and now have started with a Landsknecht group and have
            always had a problem making a corset from just measurements (If you can do this I
            applaud you. I, on the other hand, am not as talented) My tip for you is a simple
            short cut. First, do the research of the look of the bodice. It will probably need to be
            an above the nipple corset (I have seen Germans go lower but NEVER UNDER THE
            BREAST. Big pet peave) Now once you know what you want the corset to do (cinch,
            lift or whatever..Elizabethan you are probably looking for a very flat front) All you
            need is an old tee shirt, scizzors, duct tape, and another person. All you do is put the
            tshirt on and wrap yourself in duct tape. Actually you are going to be wrapping the
            duct tape as you want the corset to fit you. Remember to pull very tight because this
            is what you want the corset to do. Now once you get the duct tape wraped around
            you (Even include straps) just cut it and the t shirt where you want the corset to be
            laced (or hook and eye) You now have a duct tape double and a perfect pattern to
            make a corset that is perfectly fitted for you. Now remember you may have to line
            bodices if you are working with a flimsier fabric (Go with the stiffest material possible
            and remember that you will be covering it so don't worry if it isn't the prettiest) If you
            make a good bodice some people do not bother with a corset. I have found that a
            good corset is a time saver for making dresses but I think this is a six of one half a
            dozen of another situation. Hopefully this helps.
            Mary of the Stews