Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Non-medieval characters?

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      > > I got into the SCA through my fiancee who's very into it. I gave it
      > > try and I like the organization so far, but I'm having one big
      > > dilema: I can't find a medieval character I can get into. It's not
      > > necessarily the time period, but more a lack of the availible
      > > cultures that you can get into.

      Have you thought of picking garb that you like to wear and then
      going from there?

      Jerusha
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        On Sunday 08 February 2004 00:30, Nicole wrote:
        > It's not
        > necessarily the time period, but more a lack of the availible
        > cultures that you can get into.

        The cultures aren't as limited as you might think....there is some good
        news in answer to your question.

        Basically, you can do any culture that had contact with the cultures of
        western Europe at any time during the SCA time period (approximately
        600 to 1600 CE).

        Thus, there are people doing Aztec, Japanese, Mongolian, Byzantine,
        Slavic, Norse, and many other cultures. The largest number of people do
        western European personae, but that is a statistic and not a rule. :-)

        You could also consider doing an Egyptian persona that falls within the
        SCA time period, rather than ancient Egyptian.

        Does this help? :-)

        fesswise reversed sable.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
          In a message dated 3/1/2004 11:30:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

          <<I can't find a medieval character I can get into. It's not
          necessarily the time period, but more a lack of the availible
          cultures that you can get into.>>

          Lack of available cultures? When everything from European to Native American
          to South American to African to Indian to Russian to Middle Eastern to Romans
          to even Asian is currently being done in the SCA?

          <<So, I was curious...does anyone know if there's any problems with
          reinacting say...an Ancient Egyptian persona? Sure, you're a couple
          thousand years off from everyone, but I figure it's better to stick
          out a bit than to ruin the SCA for myself trying to carry off a
          persona I don't enjoy.
          There's just nothing on the site giving any restrictions on or
          preferred time spans, so I figured I'd prod everyone here. ;)>>

          Well, see there is, you just have to read a little deeper. Obviously, there
          is a specific late cut-off date of pre-17th century - ie 1600 and earlier.
          There is no specific early cut-off date listed, but all of the governing
          documents repeatedly stress "medieval and Renaissance Western Europe" as the basis of
          SCA re-creation, with leeway for cultures which were known to medieval and
          Western Europe.
          While there may be a way to justify early Celtic groups from before the fall
          of Rome, and likewise Roman legionaries from that time period, I think it's
          far too much of a stretch to do Ancient Egyptian. There's no way you can even
          come close to justifying that as medieval or Renaissance or say that the living
          culture of ancient Egypt was known during that time. It's not what the SCA
          is designed about - and while it may at first seem to you that you'll be doing
          something you find fun, you'll shortly find that being the only one doing it
          isn't very fun at all. One of our standard analogies is not trying to play
          baseball during a football game. If everyone around you is playing football, and
          you are playing baseball, the only things that are going to happen is that
          you are going to a) end up playing by yourself, and b) annoying the people who
          are playing football.

          What were the Egyptians up to during the Middle Ages and Renaissance? It
          might interest you to look into that and find any cultural survivals from
          Ancient Egypt. I know nothing at all about Egypt in that time frame.

          Lancaster, PA