Re: [SCA Newcomers] Choosing a persona

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004

      > Hello. I'm looking into joining the SCA and have gotten to where I'm
      > considering a name and persona. Does anyone have a website(or
      > anyother media, I suppose) which provides a quick overview of the
      > merits (and disadvantages) of differant locations and places?

      not that I know of -- it depends on your dislikes and likes. Many
      people choose a persona based on the type of clothes that they want
      to wear and then proceed from there. Me, I had the name first --
      and then sorta picked a time and place.

      Jerusha Kilgore
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
        In a message dated 3/1/2004 11:30:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<Hello. I'm looking into joining the SCA and have gotten to where I'm
        considering a name and persona. Does anyone have a website(or
        anyother media, I suppose) which provides a quick overview of the
        merits (and disadvantages) of differant locations and places?>>

        Well, it depends on what you consider important. If what would be going on
        around your persona historically is important (fascinated by the Hundred Years
        War or the Crusdaes?), than you need a good general history of Europe or the
        world to get an overview. If you want to find a culture whose clothes you like
        (Think Elizabethan is too fancy and Norse is too simple?), then a good art
        history reference will be helpful. If there's a particular craft or activity
        you are interested in, then a history of that activity might help. There are so
        many reasons why people choose particular personas, and so many possible
        personas, that I don't know how anyone could list the pros and cons of each
        possible one.

        Lancaster, PA