Re: armor

  • chemistbb3
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
      Good use of alternate material and sources for armor. However I
      would not think that Lexan would be able to hold up to the abuse.
      Please drop a line on how the Lexan holds up. Also, roofing nails
      are pretty close to what was known as arming nails in period.

      William

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "john" <mk2jersey@y...> wrote:
      > I, like yourself am fairly new. About 2 years now. I have gotten
      > involved with fighting and I have made most of my own armor. I got
      > information on the net and from others in my group. One of the
      > easiest, yet time consuming was making a coat of plates. I figured
      > it would be lighter if I made it out of Lexan. I got the Lexan
      from
      > the local glass shop for $10.00. I bought his scrap. Just went
      > through the scrap pile and picked the biggest pieces. I then
      bought
      > some canvas and made the vest using the plates that I cut. Lexan
      > cuts with a jig saw or hacksaw. I attached them to the canvas with
      > roofing nails that I cut into rivets.
      >
      > Other ideas are out there. There may be people like myself that
      have
      > a lot of time on their hands and will make armor for others in
      their
      > group for little profit.
      >
      > Galfrid
    • Michelle
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 30 1:47 PM
        does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
        helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
        fighting.
        ~Judith
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 31 7:42 PM
          On Monday 30 August 2004 16:47, Michelle wrote:
          > does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
          > helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
          > fighting.

          Anyone in your shire making armor, and could teach you? The materials to
          make basic armor tend to be dirt cheap. If you can borrow the tools, and
          get the tutelage, you can have a lot of fun and save yourself a bundle.
          It's not as hard to do as you might think.

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • pam
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
            Dear Dylan,
            I am not a fighter but my boyfriend was for many years and is
            getting back into armor for this upcoming Estrella War. I asked him
            to reply to your request for armor information. This is what he had
            to say:

            Greetings Dylan;

            It's not patriotism that makes me avoid buying the inexpensive
            foreign made armor. If I am going to entrust my life to my armor, I
            want to make sure that its been made for how I'm going to use it.
            Chances are the folks in Pakistan, or other places, who are knocking
            together bits of wall hanger armor made from metals of uncertain
            history, have never heard of the SCA. Relatively few people in the
            world are even aware that we engage in full speed, full contact
            martial arts with clubs, often in groups of 1000 or more people at a
            time.

            There is good armor, and there is cheap armor. In the past 20
            years, I have yet to find good, cheap armor. Good armor costs
            either time or money. It's up to you which you want to invest. If
            you have the time, you can build your own. Talk to the other
            fighters in your area, and see who is building their own armor and
            ask them for help. Many of them will be more than willing to teach
            you how to make your own. If you keep track of the time and
            materials you use to make each piece of armor, and multiply your
            time by what you consider a living wage, you will probably be
            surprised by what that armor is worth.

            If you have more money than time, and some people actually do, you
            can buy what you need. Not all armorers have Internet web sites
            either. Probably your best source of information will again be
            other fighters in your area. Visit the local fighter practice and
            ask them about their armor, especially if you see something you
            like. You will probably find one or more people who make armor
            locally for sale. Whether your armorer is on-line or local, make
            sure you find out what kind of a reputation he has. I know of a few
            who can work wonders with metal, but have a hard time meeting
            production schedules. The local fighters will know and will let you
            know as well, who can be depended on and who can't. If at all
            possible, meet your armorer.

            If you can at all manage it, go to a war, and visit the merchants
            there. The bigger the war, the better. The competition insures the
            best prices, and you can actually see and handle the merchandise.
            You can also talk to the merchants about their products, and about
            their competition. It's amazing what you can learn.

            In the last few weeks I have been dealing with Windrose Armoury

            www.windrosearmoury.com

            for a new helmet, pauldrons, and gorget. I have been quite pleased
            with their products and service. They are not cheap, but their
            quality is outstanding.

            Good luck to you.
            Benedictimus,
            Father Michael (Eskalya))