RE: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Non-medieval characters?

  • Doug Gintaras
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      You might try seeing how people with the roman personaes do their recreation
      and go with that. You might find the influences you need to do it right. I'm
      not doubting that you could do ancient egyptian, however, you might be able
      to "fit in" more easily if you do a later period, but still study the
      culture you like.

      You might also consider studying your personal heritage. that is what I did
      and have never turned back since.

      Regardless, I would keep at it. After all I know a knight/pelican that has
      been in the SCA for a number of years and has an Aztec personae.

      ~Gintaras, C.R.C.~
      Midrealm
      Midlands
      Ravenslake

      >From: chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Non-medieval characters?
      >Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:21:32 -0000
      >
      >If you are talking pyrimid building Ancient Egypt, that is REALLY pre-
      >period for the SCA. I know of a couple of folks that have stretched
      >the time, but I would think that is too much. There were Egyptians
      >in period though...
      >
      >WIlliam
      >
      >--- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole"
      ><quicksilver_chaotic@m...> wrote:
      > > Heya,
      > >
      > > I got into the SCA through my fiancee who's very into it. I gave it
      > > try and I like the organization so far, but I'm having one big
      > > dilema: I can't find a medieval character I can get into. It's not
      > > necessarily the time period, but more a lack of the availible
      > > cultures that you can get into.
      > >
      > > So, I was curious...does anyone know if there's any problems with
      > > reinacting say...an Ancient Egyptian persona? Sure, you're a couple
      > > thousand years off from everyone, but I figure it's better to stick
      > > out a bit than to ruin the SCA for myself trying to carry off a
      > > persona I don't enjoy.
      > >
      > > There's just nothing on the site giving any restrictions on or
      > > preferred time spans, so I figured I'd prod everyone here. ;)
      > >
      > > Thanks muchly,
      > > Nicole

      Take off on a romantic weekend or a family adventure to these great U.S.
      locations. http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx
    • lecachot@airmail.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
        Greetings to the List!
        As Much as I love ancient Egypt (ex-archaeology major here) they really
        are inappropriate to the SCA. There is a valid excuse for the Aztek
        persona, there was interaction between the New World and the Azteks late
        in the SCA period; but that justification really doesn't work for ancient
        Egypt. Sorry if this seems negative, just my $.02 worth.

        nafisa