Re: armor

  • john
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 15, 2004
      I, like yourself am fairly new. About 2 years now. I have gotten
      involved with fighting and I have made most of my own armor. I got
      information on the net and from others in my group. One of the
      easiest, yet time consuming was making a coat of plates. I figured
      it would be lighter if I made it out of Lexan. I got the Lexan from
      the local glass shop for $10.00. I bought his scrap. Just went
      through the scrap pile and picked the biggest pieces. I then bought
      some canvas and made the vest using the plates that I cut. Lexan
      cuts with a jig saw or hacksaw. I attached them to the canvas with
      roofing nails that I cut into rivets.

      Other ideas are out there. There may be people like myself that have
      a lot of time on their hands and will make armor for others in their
      group for little profit.

      Galfrid

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "sir_james_w" <sir_james_w@h...>
      wrote:
      > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew
      about
      > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
      > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the
      sca.
      > I am fairly new to the sca. I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
      > I'm starting to feel comfortable, but still feel out of place. I
      > want to be more active in the sca and join the fighters in the
      local
      > group. My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you
      can't
      > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
      need
      > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
      > for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
      anyone
      > tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
      location
      > is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
      border
      > of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
        Good use of alternate material and sources for armor. However I
        would not think that Lexan would be able to hold up to the abuse.
        Please drop a line on how the Lexan holds up. Also, roofing nails
        are pretty close to what was known as arming nails in period.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "john" <mk2jersey@y...> wrote:
        > I, like yourself am fairly new. About 2 years now. I have gotten
        > involved with fighting and I have made most of my own armor. I got
        > information on the net and from others in my group. One of the
        > easiest, yet time consuming was making a coat of plates. I figured
        > it would be lighter if I made it out of Lexan. I got the Lexan
        from
        > the local glass shop for $10.00. I bought his scrap. Just went
        > through the scrap pile and picked the biggest pieces. I then
        bought
        > some canvas and made the vest using the plates that I cut. Lexan
        > cuts with a jig saw or hacksaw. I attached them to the canvas with
        > roofing nails that I cut into rivets.
        >
        > Other ideas are out there. There may be people like myself that
        have
        > a lot of time on their hands and will make armor for others in
        their
        > group for little profit.
        >
        > Galfrid
      • Michelle
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
          does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
          helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
          fighting.
          ~Judith
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
            On Monday 30 August 2004 16:47, Michelle wrote:
            > does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
            > helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
            > fighting.

            Anyone in your shire making armor, and could teach you? The materials to
            make basic armor tend to be dirt cheap. If you can borrow the tools, and
            get the tutelage, you can have a lot of fun and save yourself a bundle.
            It's not as hard to do as you might think.

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • pam
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
              Dear Dylan,
              I am not a fighter but my boyfriend was for many years and is
              getting back into armor for this upcoming Estrella War. I asked him
              to reply to your request for armor information. This is what he had
              to say:

              Greetings Dylan;

              It's not patriotism that makes me avoid buying the inexpensive
              foreign made armor. If I am going to entrust my life to my armor, I
              want to make sure that its been made for how I'm going to use it.
              Chances are the folks in Pakistan, or other places, who are knocking
              together bits of wall hanger armor made from metals of uncertain
              history, have never heard of the SCA. Relatively few people in the
              world are even aware that we engage in full speed, full contact
              martial arts with clubs, often in groups of 1000 or more people at a
              time.

              There is good armor, and there is cheap armor. In the past 20
              years, I have yet to find good, cheap armor. Good armor costs
              either time or money. It's up to you which you want to invest. If
              you have the time, you can build your own. Talk to the other
              fighters in your area, and see who is building their own armor and
              ask them for help. Many of them will be more than willing to teach
              you how to make your own. If you keep track of the time and
              materials you use to make each piece of armor, and multiply your
              time by what you consider a living wage, you will probably be
              surprised by what that armor is worth.

              If you have more money than time, and some people actually do, you
              can buy what you need. Not all armorers have Internet web sites
              either. Probably your best source of information will again be
              other fighters in your area. Visit the local fighter practice and
              ask them about their armor, especially if you see something you
              like. You will probably find one or more people who make armor
              locally for sale. Whether your armorer is on-line or local, make
              sure you find out what kind of a reputation he has. I know of a few
              who can work wonders with metal, but have a hard time meeting
              production schedules. The local fighters will know and will let you
              know as well, who can be depended on and who can't. If at all
              possible, meet your armorer.

              If you can at all manage it, go to a war, and visit the merchants
              there. The bigger the war, the better. The competition insures the
              best prices, and you can actually see and handle the merchandise.
              You can also talk to the merchants about their products, and about
              their competition. It's amazing what you can learn.

              In the last few weeks I have been dealing with Windrose Armoury

              www.windrosearmoury.com

              for a new helmet, pauldrons, and gorget. I have been quite pleased
              with their products and service. They are not cheap, but their
              quality is outstanding.

              Good luck to you.
              Benedictimus,
              Father Michael (Eskalya))