  • i_m_2_jaded
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2004
      I have been a watcher in the wings for a number of years and have
      finally decided to jump in and start participating in the SCA in my
      area. I would like to use my ancestor's coat of arms as my own and
      would like for anyone who has an idea in these things to email me and
      let me bounce a few ideas off ya. I'm also interested in talking to
      anyone who can help me get a good idea of where I can go to get
      patterns for Elizabethan gowns, I'm not really interested in the ones
      from Simplicity or McCalls, I seem to remember at an event I was at
      recently someone was selling patterns, I just can't remember the name
      of the company...were they in a blue envelope? Lastly, I will also
      need info on how to make chemises and corsets...any helpful hints
      will be sooooooo appreciated. Thank you.....Tracie (Thinking of
      Margaret Smalwode as my name, the last name is my family name as
      written in the court rolls of Henry VII)
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        Unless you can prove you are legitimately entitled to your ancestors
        coat of arms, I would suggest you do not use them yourself. That
        can get sticky and you would probably not be able to register it in
        the SCA, should you wish to.

        I do not know much about Lady's gard, except for what I like, but
        there are a number of good sources in the Group's Link's section.
        You can get there off the Group's homepage. But, I'm also sure you
        will get some help form others herr also...

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "i_m_2_jaded" <i_m_2_jaded@y...>
        wrote:
        > I have been a watcher in the wings for a number of years and have
        > finally decided to jump in and start participating in the SCA in my
        > area. I would like to use my ancestor's coat of arms as my own and
        > would like for anyone who has an idea in these things to email me
        and
        > let me bounce a few ideas off ya. I'm also interested in talking to
        > anyone who can help me get a good idea of where I can go to get
        > patterns for Elizabethan gowns, I'm not really interested in the
        ones
        > from Simplicity or McCalls, I seem to remember at an event I was at
        > recently someone was selling patterns, I just can't remember the
        name
        > of the company...were they in a blue envelope? Lastly, I will also
        > need info on how to make chemises and corsets...any helpful hints
        > will be sooooooo appreciated. Thank you.....Tracie (Thinking of
        > Margaret Smalwode as my name, the last name is my family name as
        > written in the court rolls of Henry VII)
      • Susan Farmer
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004

          > Unless you can prove you are legitimately entitled to your ancestors
          > coat of arms, I would suggest you do not use them yourself. That
          > can get sticky and you would probably not be able to register it in
          > the SCA, should you wish to.

          I don't think you can use them even if you are entitled to bear them
          in the mundane world. I thought that they had to be unique to Our
          World and the Mundane World.

          Jerusha
        • Tirloch O'Riordain
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
            i_m_2_jaded wrote:
            > I have been a watcher in the wings for a number of years and have
            > finally decided to jump in and start participating in the SCA in my
            > area. I would like to use my ancestor's coat of arms as my own and
            > would like for anyone who has an idea in these things to email me and
            > let me bounce a few ideas off ya. I'm also interested in talking to
            > anyone who can help me get a good idea of where I can go to get
            > patterns for Elizabethan gowns, I'm not really interested in the ones
            > from Simplicity or McCalls, I seem to remember at an event I was at
            > recently someone was selling patterns, I just can't remember the name
            > of the company...were they in a blue envelope? Lastly, I will also
            > need info on how to make chemises and corsets...any helpful hints
            > will be sooooooo appreciated. Thank you.....Tracie (Thinking of
            > Margaret Smalwode as my name, the last name is my family name as
            > written in the court rolls of Henry VII)

            A couple of items to think about in the use of your family coat of arms.

            If you are concerned about it ...
            there are strict rules defining who has the use of a coat of arms. For
            instance of all the McDonnell's in the world, only Laird McDonnell in
            Scotland has the "right" to display the McDonnell coat of arms. Chances
            are highly unlikely that you would be the one person.

            However, that rule applies to displaying the arms in the modern world.
            As for the SCA, a few years back the College of Heralds deemed us a
            theatrical group, and as such they do not care if we use any coat of
            arms or not. This ruling changed SCA policy allowing people to adopt
            their family coat of arms should they wish, though as per SCA heraldry
            only one person may bear any coat of arms so it also depends on whether
            someone else has already registered your families coat of arms.

            What I personally did, since I was not the oldest living male of my
            Clan, was to incorporate one eliminate of my family arms into my
            personal arms. This gave me the connection I desired, and yet my own
            personal arms as well.

            Hope this helps,

            Tirloch
          • bridgetthestargazer
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
              There's Margo's patterns. margospatterns.com I've heard great things
              about her patterns. Elizabethan isn't my time frame, but on the SCA
              garb list they have talked about Margo's patterns a lot.

              As others have said about the heraldry, ask your local herald.

              http://costume.dm.net/ is another elizabethan costuming site. Tons of
              info there. There's even a corset pattern generator that you plug in
              your measurements and it gives you directions for how to create a
              pattern from it.

              Not affiliated with either of these sites or their owners, just
              passing along info.

              Bridget the Stargazer
            • Britt
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
                I have been doing Tudor and now have started with a Landsknecht group and have
                always had a problem making a corset from just measurements (If you can do this I
                applaud you. I, on the other hand, am not as talented) My tip for you is a simple
                short cut. First, do the research of the look of the bodice. It will probably need to be
                an above the nipple corset (I have seen Germans go lower but NEVER UNDER THE
                BREAST. Big pet peave) Now once you know what you want the corset to do (cinch,
                lift or whatever..Elizabethan you are probably looking for a very flat front) All you
                need is an old tee shirt, scizzors, duct tape, and another person. All you do is put the
                tshirt on and wrap yourself in duct tape. Actually you are going to be wrapping the
                duct tape as you want the corset to fit you. Remember to pull very tight because this
                is what you want the corset to do. Now once you get the duct tape wraped around
                you (Even include straps) just cut it and the t shirt where you want the corset to be
                laced (or hook and eye) You now have a duct tape double and a perfect pattern to
                make a corset that is perfectly fitted for you. Now remember you may have to line
                bodices if you are working with a flimsier fabric (Go with the stiffest material possible
                and remember that you will be covering it so don't worry if it isn't the prettiest) If you
                make a good bodice some people do not bother with a corset. I have found that a
                good corset is a time saver for making dresses but I think this is a six of one half a
                dozen of another situation. Hopefully this helps.
                Mary of the Stews