Non-medieval characters?

  • Nicole
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2004
      Heya,

      I got into the SCA through my fiancee who's very into it. I gave it a
      try and I like the organization so far, but I'm having one big
      dilema: I can't find a medieval character I can get into. It's not
      necessarily the time period, but more a lack of the availible
      cultures that you can get into.

      So, I was curious...does anyone know if there's any problems with
      reinacting say...an Ancient Egyptian persona? Sure, you're a couple
      thousand years off from everyone, but I figure it's better to stick
      out a bit than to ruin the SCA for myself trying to carry off a
      persona I don't enjoy.

      There's just nothing on the site giving any restrictions on or
      preferred time spans, so I figured I'd prod everyone here. ;)

      Thanks muchly,
      Nicole
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        If you are talking pyrimid building Ancient Egypt, that is REALLY pre-
        period for the SCA. I know of a couple of folks that have stretched
        the time, but I would think that is too much. There were Egyptians
        in period though...

        WIlliam

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole"
        <quicksilver_chaotic@m...> wrote:
        > Heya,
        >
        > I got into the SCA through my fiancee who's very into it. I gave it
        > try and I like the organization so far, but I'm having one big
        > dilema: I can't find a medieval character I can get into. It's not
        > necessarily the time period, but more a lack of the availible
        > cultures that you can get into.
        >
        > So, I was curious...does anyone know if there's any problems with
        > reinacting say...an Ancient Egyptian persona? Sure, you're a couple
        > thousand years off from everyone, but I figure it's better to stick
        > out a bit than to ruin the SCA for myself trying to carry off a
        > persona I don't enjoy.
        >
        > There's just nothing on the site giving any restrictions on or
        > preferred time spans, so I figured I'd prod everyone here. ;)
        >
        > Thanks muchly,
        > Nicole
      • Susan Farmer
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
          > > I got into the SCA through my fiancee who's very into it. I gave it
          > > try and I like the organization so far, but I'm having one big
          > > dilema: I can't find a medieval character I can get into. It's not
          > > necessarily the time period, but more a lack of the availible
          > > cultures that you can get into.

          Have you thought of picking garb that you like to wear and then
          going from there?

          Jerusha
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
            On Sunday 08 February 2004 00:30, Nicole wrote:
            > It's not
            > necessarily the time period, but more a lack of the availible
            > cultures that you can get into.

            The cultures aren't as limited as you might think....there is some good
            news in answer to your question.

            Basically, you can do any culture that had contact with the cultures of
            western Europe at any time during the SCA time period (approximately
            600 to 1600 CE).

            Thus, there are people doing Aztec, Japanese, Mongolian, Byzantine,
            Slavic, Norse, and many other cultures. The largest number of people do
            western European personae, but that is a statistic and not a rule. :-)

            You could also consider doing an Egyptian persona that falls within the
            SCA time period, rather than ancient Egyptian.

            Does this help? :-)

            fesswise reversed sable.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
              In a message dated 3/1/2004 11:30:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

              <<I can't find a medieval character I can get into. It's not
              necessarily the time period, but more a lack of the availible
              cultures that you can get into.>>

              Lack of available cultures? When everything from European to Native American
              to South American to African to Indian to Russian to Middle Eastern to Romans
              to even Asian is currently being done in the SCA?

              <<So, I was curious...does anyone know if there's any problems with
              reinacting say...an Ancient Egyptian persona? Sure, you're a couple
              thousand years off from everyone, but I figure it's better to stick
              out a bit than to ruin the SCA for myself trying to carry off a
              persona I don't enjoy.
              There's just nothing on the site giving any restrictions on or
              preferred time spans, so I figured I'd prod everyone here. ;)>>

              Well, see there is, you just have to read a little deeper. Obviously, there
              is a specific late cut-off date of pre-17th century - ie 1600 and earlier.
              There is no specific early cut-off date listed, but all of the governing
              documents repeatedly stress "medieval and Renaissance Western Europe" as the basis of
              SCA re-creation, with leeway for cultures which were known to medieval and
              Western Europe.
              While there may be a way to justify early Celtic groups from before the fall
              of Rome, and likewise Roman legionaries from that time period, I think it's
              far too much of a stretch to do Ancient Egyptian. There's no way you can even
              come close to justifying that as medieval or Renaissance or say that the living
              culture of ancient Egypt was known during that time. It's not what the SCA
              is designed about - and while it may at first seem to you that you'll be doing
              something you find fun, you'll shortly find that being the only one doing it
              isn't very fun at all. One of our standard analogies is not trying to play
              baseball during a football game. If everyone around you is playing football, and
              you are playing baseball, the only things that are going to happen is that
              you are going to a) end up playing by yourself, and b) annoying the people who
              are playing football.

              What were the Egyptians up to during the Middle Ages and Renaissance? It
              might interest you to look into that and find any cultural survivals from
              Ancient Egypt. I know nothing at all about Egypt in that time frame.

              Lancaster, PA