RE: [SCA Newcomers] Fighting for a Consort

  • Doug Gintaras
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2004
      >honor at all because he had no one to do it to. Just remember, only crown
      >requires you to fight for some one of the opposite sex, the rest of the
      >time
      >there is flexibility. The choice is up to you and no one can change that.

      Just to make sure, in this sentence I was referring to Crown Tournament.

      ~Gintaras, C.R.C.~
      Midrealm
      Midlands
      Ravenslake

      Say �good-bye� to spam, viruses and pop-ups with MSN Premium -- free trial
      offer! http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2004
        In a message dated 2/26/2004 12:15:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<I just have a few questions regarding who you can fight for during
        a list. My problem is that I don't really have a consort; I have a
        good friend, but she's the same gender as me, and I remember reading
        somewhere that your consort must be the opposite gender ( though that
        may have just been specifically for crown list. I'm in Trimaris, if
        it makes a difference ).>>

        I know that lists which result in the winners being royalty have a
        requirement for the consort to be of the opposite sex from the fighter. For other
        tourneys, I imagine it would be primarily up to whoever's organizing the tourney.
        You could always ask them if you could fight for your female friend; the worst
        they can do is say no.

        <<The question is, what do you do when you need someone to fight for
        but don't have a consort? Wander through the crowd until you find
        some single person of the opposite sex ( a task that I imagine is
        quite a bit easier for guys than girls. )? Fight for someone not
        involved with the SCA what so ever? ( I could fight for my dad, I
        suppose... he's not in the SCA though, just vaugely interested
        because I am )>>

        I know a number of instances where people other than the significant other of
        the fighter have been their consort. In one case it was the gentleman's
        mother, who was active in the SCA; in others the person has been a close friend.
        Does winning the tourney give the consort of the victor any lasting
        responsibilities? If so, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to fight for someone not
        in the SCA. If the only "responsibility" is to sit at high table at the feast
        after the tourney, then invite your dad along to the event to see what you're
        doing, and fight for him. I know my Dad would have appreciated such a
        gesture. I think the wandering through the crowd thing would also depend on what
        needs to happen if you win. If it's just someone to sit with at feast, then pick
        some young man you admire and ask him. If it's someone you're going to have
        to deal with for a while, then that might not be the best option :-)

        << What about fighting for someone who is married? For example, the
        person whose been taking care of me at events ( I'm a minor, so I
        have a legal guardian for SCA events )? What is the
        proper 'protocal', per se, in such a situation? I'd imagine that it'd
        be a good idea to ask the wife first, but anything else?>>

        People have certainly fought for someone who is married to someone else; a
        number of Kings of the East have had Queens who were married to someone else.
        Asking the wife first is the way to go. Asking your guardian to be your
        consort would be a nice way of thanking him for what he's done for you, I would
        think.

        Lancaster, PA