Re: [SCA Newcomers] Dogs at events

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2004
      In a message dated 2/6/2004 12:40:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<Does anyone bring their dogs to events? >>

      Those of the Scadian persuasion who have dogs (rather than those who have
      cats, which seems to be an awfully large percentage of us) do sometimes bring
      them to events. The very first thing to find out before doing this is if dogs
      are allowed on the site. Some places do not allow them except for assistance
      dogs. At one of the camps we use regularly, the ranger has a very territorial
      dog, so we are only allowed to have our dogs in sections of the camp that are
      out of sight of his house.
      The next thing to find out is if there are any special legal issues involving
      dogs in the area where the event is being held - required shots, for example,
      or leash laws. Make sure your dog's shots are up to date and bring proof of
      rabies immunization in case he bites someone.
      The next thing is to consider where your dog will be during the day and what
      he will need for comfort - both of the shelter sort and the favorite toy sort.
      Keep in mind that there are a lot of kids around, and other people not
      familiar with dogs who may just walk up and try to pet your dog without you being
      around. A friend's toddler was badly bitten at one event because mommy turned
      her back for just a second, during which the child tried to offer another
      camper's dog part of her pretzel.

      <<I have heard that a lady does not walk out alone, but must have an
      escort? Would a dog be an escort?>>

      I have never heard this particular rule, and I walk around alone at events
      all the time and have done for 14 years. Of course, it's more fun to walk
      around with my husband or my best friend (who is male), but no one will think you
      are behaving in an unladylike fashion if you don't have a male escort at all
      times. Indeed, it would tend to keep the males rather busy, and off the
      fighting field, if they had to escort the ladies throughout the merchant areas.

      Lancaster, PA