Re: [SCA Newcomers] A couple of questions...

  • ankashai
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2004
      In answer to the question about an escort, a lady isn't *required*
      to have an escort. No one is going to stop you from walking around on
      your own.

      That said, if being escorted is what you're worried about, don't
      worry. If you feel like you need an escort, someone will probably
      volunteer, or you can just ask a handsome young man to escort you For
      example, you're trying to get back to your camp in the dark, and
      either want an escort just for safety [ which doesn't seem to be much
      of an issue at most events, but there's a lot to be said for peace of
      mind ], or because you're lost, or you're feeling a little tipsy or
      whatever. I usually end up at events by myself, and everytime I try
      to walk somewhere in the dark *someone* will usually escort me where
      I'm going. If all else fails, just speak up; something along the
      lines of "Would one of you gentleman be so kind as to escort a lady
      back to her camp?" should get them hopping! =D

      On the note of dogs, when in doubt call the autocrat. He/She will
      be able to tell you whether animals are allowed, requirements, ect.
    • Ld. Dylan
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 17, 2004
        Having read all the previous replies to this question, I thought I'd
        put in my two cents worth as well. All of the advice is good as far
        as bringing your animal to an event. In fact, there are some groups
        (mainly in the eastern kingdoms) where some events are planned around
        a "coursing of the hounds" activity...sort of an ancestor of modern-
        day dog-racing. That suggests that the participants have dogs of
        breeds suitable for that kind of thing.

        With regard to the escort question, it's more of a tradition than a
        requirement, and then too it's directed more toward the gentlemen
        than the ladies. However, like one person said, if you feel more
        comfortable with an escort, by all means speak up...you will probably
        have several to choose from.

        One other note on dogs: I don't know of too many people who would
        care to argue with an English Mastiff :-)

        Be Cool,
        Dylan

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "kateryncorbett"
        <tchristensen@c...> wrote:
        > Does anyone bring their dogs to events?
        > I have heard that a lady does not walk out alone, but must have an
        > escort? Would a dog be an escort?
        > Thanks.
      • kateryncorbett
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 17, 2004
          "One other note on dogs: I don't know of too many people who would
          > care to argue with an English Mastiff :-)"

          Full grown probably not, but she's just a baby 20lbs so far - 130lbs
          to go!
          Check out the site, pictures up of her:
          http://www.geocities.com/j_richey1984/indexe.html?1076350295790

          Thanks for your $.02